Mufflers...which are the most quiet?

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I have a Wisconsin two cylinder that I'm going to use for a log splitter. The original can muffler is rotted out and the engine is freekin' loud! Because the engine will be right at my ear, I want it to be very quiet. These Wisconsins always had a loud poping exhaust note, so I'm interested in knowing which mufflers might be quieter than another. Thoughts?

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet? #2  
I would go pick up a large car muffler with small inlet and outlet. The mufflers are pretty cheap from an exhaust shop or even a parts store. The volume of the muffler case has a large impact on its effective muffling. The engine itself will still make lots of racket though.

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet? #3  
Cord said:
I have a Wisconsin two cylinder that I'm going to use for a log splitter. The original can muffler is rotted out and the engine is freekin' loud! Because the engine will be right at my ear, I want it to be very quiet. These Wisconsins always had a loud poping exhaust note, so I'm interested in knowing which mufflers might be quieter than another. Thoughts?

I've got a Miller Trailblazer welder with a 20HP Onan 2cyl engine. Came with just the 2-into-one exhaust "can" and then out via a 90 degree "straight" pipe. Really loud when you are using the generator part at the end of the trailer. I went to TSC and bought a Ford (Jubilee, I think) muffler (smaller type that curved around above the manifold and goes out the hood). Cuts the sound by 60% or better. Took a tad of "rigging" but does a good job. As it sits straight up I also put a rain flapper on it for when its outside. BobG in VA

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet? #4  
I have an antique Wisconsin that I built a quiet muffler for once. It was too quite. I could hear a lot of internal noises that I would rather be ignorant of (grin). The car or tractor muffler are good ideas. Also make sur that the outlet is pointed away from where you are working. Even better is up in the air well above your head.

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet? #5  
Its worthwhile to put on a good muffler but don't expect miracles. I tried to quiet a 5 hp briggs and a similar size west bend/Chrysler Industrial 2 stroke and all it did was reveal that unpleasantly loud internal clatter was being masked by the exhaust racket. I expect a Wisconsin or most older air cooled utility engines would be similar. The VW bugs had an engine shroud plus the car body and still clattered.

Nothing but maybe a sealed engine compartment is going to really quiet it.

Can you partly enclose the Wisconsin and still maintain good airflow?

/ Mufflers...which are the most quiet?
I have found a "quiet muffler" made by the mfr for $80. For comparision purposes, I bought a standard can muffler from the local farm store for $20. I'll try both and return the one that doesn't work the best. For grins, I'll also try connecting both mufflers in series to see if that makes things even quieter. This engine has quite a bit of gear noise. Even with the rotted out can, I could hear those straight cut gears wining.