CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle?

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #1  

Rgillard

Silver Member
Tractor
Fiat 82-94
Hi Guys,

I know this is kinda off the point but I know some of you will have the answer. On my off road buggy I am using driveshafts off a nissan sunny '87 1.3L. I am just wondering what is the maximum angle I can run these shafts at before damaging them. I want to try and get as much road clearance as possible without doing harm. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Regards,
Ronan

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #2  
not much

i know on my 4wheel drive 94 pickup (set up for offroad) with balljoint spacers im pushing 25-30deg and thats about the limit.

usually the joints can go farther than the boots. so youll tear the boots. but if your looking at a compound angle (turning and flexing) is the hardest on the joint and will likely snap quickly.

I assume those are the same birfield design the pickups use.

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #3  
Try asking on one of the Pirate 4x4 forums. If someone there can't answer your question nobody can.

http://www.pirate4x4.com

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #5  
Click on Bulletin Board to go to the forums.

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #6  
WOOOO WOOOO WOOO....

you do NOT send a noob into Pirate. He'll get chewed up and spit out for shure!

You got to watch it over when i say there they are rough, thats an understatment!

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #7  
schmism said:
WOOOO WOOOO WOOO....

you do NOT send a noob into Pirate. He'll get chewed up and spit out for shure!

You got to watch it over when i say there they are rough, thats an understatment!

Yeah, I visit Jeep sites a lot. That one is brutal. They expect you to know everything. If you knew everything you certainly wouldn't be asking a stranger questions on a website forum!!!!

I think you should keep your CV joints at or below 20 degrees if you expect long life. But then there's nothing in 4 wheeling that has a long life. Regular joints can't survive much past 15 degrees for any amount of time.

/ CV Joint Maximum Operating Angle? #9  
All of my information says that 18* is max for the inner joint and 45* max for the outer. Dont forget that you need to allow for wheel travel, so you wouldnt want 45* sitting on the ground.