how to make 3 point pto logging winch

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #21  
sandman2234 said:
One of the drawbacks of PTO winching is the PTO only turns one way, and if you get in a bind, how can you back it up enough to relieve the stress on the cable so that you can reposition it or reverse it?
Say your pulling a log and it catches a large tree root or a V between two trees. How do you back it off?

Sandman is right about not having reverse. The trick, and sometimes that's just luck, is not getting into that position. One way to avoid those problems is to have a second "change of direction" pulley hung high on a midway tree so as to keep the butt pulling in an upward direction. From a control perspective a hydraulic winch could have many advantages, but for cheap a pto will git er done.

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #22  
I built a three point PTO winch rig for pulling juniper logs across a wet area my tractor would not cross without needing a winch. Bought a PTO winch, bumper mounted to C channel and PTO drive shaft off a C-60 lift-bed truck from a junkyard for $250. I cut off the ends of the bumper a foot past the hawser on both sides. Cut the truck end off the PTO shaft and welded a tractor PTO coupler on. I welded a 12"x36"x1/4" flat plate leaning about 15 degrees forward of the bumper with angle iron kickers from the bottom of the plate back to the winch for a drag. Welded angle iron for the three point hitch. Ran the winch from the seat and yes I know the safety issues. I could have stood off to the side and hand clutched but like the idea of standing in front of the tire of a running tractor less. If it really bothers you build a slap shield. The shaft had a shear pin so overloading was not an issue and would shear long before it even started to stall my engine. The cable was rated three times higher than the shear pin. The plate took most of the pressure and once it plowed in I didn't have a problem holding the winch and did not stress the hitch. I never tried it in hard ground so not sure how well it would dig in there. Getting the winch and bumper mount together made it a lot easier and it was really a simple rig to build. Never had a need for reversing but if you do just raise the hitch and back the tractor. I was told there are forward and reversing PTO winches but did not find one in the junk yard. I think a heavy duty hydraulic would have worked fine for me but I don't think Milemarker is in the category I needed. The size I needed I could not find in my price range for a one time deal. We worked the winch hard everyday for three weeks with no problems. Don't even think about an electric winch for log skidding. After I finished skidding the logs I found I didn't have much need for it anymore. I put it in the paper, sold it to the first guy who looked and had calls for a week.

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #23  
agh: I finally got some pics of my logging arch. I described them earlier so if anything's not obvious just ask. MikeD74T

Attachments

• winch arms.JPG
    winch arms.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 8,453
  • winch drive.JPG
    winch drive.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 7,730
  • winch front.JPG
    winch front.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 13,463
  • winch rear.JPG
    winch rear.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 7,964
  • winch side2.JPG
    winch side2.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 5,438
  • winch side.JPG
    winch side.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 5,186
   / how to make 3 point pto logging winch
mike, thanks for posting great pcts!! this is exactly what i needed to see. a couple of questions. I don't see a 3 point hookup, if arms bolt to brackets under frame of tractor where does top link or lift arms attach? i may be missing seeing it.agh

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #25  
agh, The tabs on the arms connected with pins thru u-channels that hung under the rear axle and formed the pivot point. The channels were also the rear attachment points for the loader on the Ford. They attached to the tractor with the bolts that hold the fenders on. You can see the pins hanging on the chocker hangers on the pic from the rear. The arms look long because they went to the axle centerline. The winch is quite close to the tractor with about an 18" pto shaft.
The chains visable in the side views have a holed tab that connects to the 3pt lift arms to lift the entire frame/arch. Not very clear in the back view, below the winch, are the hooks I towed with in order to keep the load low. MikeD74T

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #26  
Would something like this work? It is out of one my favorite old books. The price would be right if you have an old axle laying around.

Attachments

• Winch.pdf
    643.7 KB · Views: 5,518
   / how to make 3 point pto logging winch #27  
hans2, I've seen a winch made from a differential on a skidder made from a Dodge powerwagon. It had a truck steering wheel for input, strictly manual power. One could calculate the pto speed vs the gear ratio & drum size to see what the cable speed would be. The one in the picture appears to be a capstan head which allows slippage for control.
What else is in that book? MikeD74T

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #28  
I happen to have a Norse but it works the same way as Farmi and other pto winches. They have a clutch and a long rope so you can stand off to the side for safety. Mine also has a screen so you can operate safely from the seat if desired. If you happen to catch your pull on a imoveable object the winch can be released real easy by releasing the brake. Its no big deal. They work real good and if you have your heart set on building one I would copy their design. They have done all the research and testing. Its a proven design so all you have to do is copy it.

/ how to make 3 point pto logging winch #29  
RE: What else is in that book

Attachments

• TOC1.pdf
    337.2 KB · Views: 3,918
  • TOC2.pdf
    682.6 KB · Views: 1,692
  • TOC3.pdf
    283.9 KB · Views: 1,307
   / how to make 3 point pto logging winch #30  
I have built many pto winches for tractors from 16-50 hp.
For the most part they have been 8000lb and a few 12000lb units.
I use the upright type instead of the ones that set down inbetween mounting rails. They work very well and you can find them used at a decent price.
I did however order mine from the factory as I wanted a change in gearing and left hand turn on the input shaft for the tractor.
The way I set mine up, was to build a frame for the winch to sit on, cut side plates to surround the winch drum to keep the line from fouling and become an intregal part of the 3pt system, and weld a blade facing the rear to anchor the tractor when pulling. Also the side plates went to the aft far enough to be able to put one horizontal and two verticle rollers for cable guides.
I would stay away from electric, unless you have a very limited amount of use for a winch, and hyd winches would be very slow on a small tractor as they don't have a high volume pump.
I do have an 8000 lb hyd unit installed permenantly in my loader frame, but it is on a 50 hp JD. It is to slow for logging, but great for many other uses. I wouldn't recommend putting one on the 3pt for any useful logging.
I have built a frame for a gearmatic mod 9 that I use for my tractor. It came off a logskidder. Works great, (I can out log my 350 JD crawler), with it on good ground.
Be safe out there