Harbor Freight Flux Core welders

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #81  
I see HF has a wire flux welder on sale for something like 89$ with coupon .. makes it tempting to think about.. at least for thin metal anyway..

soundguy

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #82  
2006?? Has it been that long.

Lets see my little 110v mig got so bad I couldn't use it. Feeding problems, plastic tube, etc. I think I finally hauled it out to the trash pile.

The 220v faired a little better. I used it from time to time, never put gas on it. It was stolen from my garage back in October. I will not be replacing it that is for sure. I have a Hobart at the main house. It the Handler I think, 140(largest 110v they make), and I use a 75/25 gas. MIG's were meant for gas, and I won't try another without gas. I used it this weekend for some atv racks(which was also stolen) and it worked perfect. No slag, clean welds....a MIG! The only problem I had was the cold, the regulator was letting more gas through it. I put a halogen light on it to keep it warm and all was well. It started out about 25 in the garage.

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #83  
I originally bought the HF 90 amp mig unit a few years ago. It came with a roll of .035 flux wire. Never worked well for me but then again I didn't know anything about mig welders, only arc. A few months ago I took a couple of hours of training from an experienced welder listed in my local craigslist. He tried the welder out and it didn't work worth a darn for him either, so at least I didn't feel to bad. He told me that .035 wire for a 90 amp machine was probably to large. The next day I stopped at my local TSC and bought a roll of .030 flux. This made a night and day difference and I now had a steady arc and good flow. But I didn't like all the spatter and slag from the flux wire. And I know realized the real potential and benefit of a mig welder. Turns out that HF just happen to have their 110 amp 220 volt model on sale. So with my 20% coupon I bought this $250 welder for $142. It was a higher amperage unit but more importantly to me it was set up to also use gas. So with a gas bottle and regulator I'm now happily welding up to 3/8 metal with no slag (only some brown powder that easily brushes off) and no spatter. This unit makes the "sizzling bacon" sound whereas the 90 amp unit really didn't sound the same way. I know the HF unit is not as well built as the name brands that sell for double but I don't do very much welding and am hoping it will last for all my future work.

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #84  
I recently caught my wife somehow by surprise by asking if we could afford to buy me a mig welder, and much to my larger surprise she said yes, get it. Before she could finish saying that, I was on the phone with lowes ordering, and paying for it. LOL I got the Lincoln 180 amp mig. It says it is suppose to be able to weld 1/2 thick steel with .045 flux wire. I havent tried any that thick yet, but on the thinner stuff it works great so far. It cost a little over $700.00, but I dont plan on ever having to buy another. I also discovered that Lowes and Home Depot also sells wire and is name brand such as Lincoln and not off the wall brands such as HF, and also cheaper. zman

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #85  
:)ROBJ, sorry man,but it sounds like you need a security system instead of a welder. zman

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #86  
I have been welding for years (8-10 years) with a lincolin Weld Pac 100 Mig unit. This only goes up to 88 amp and runs on 20 amp 120 volt outlet. While I have tried running gas with this units the power is limited but using fluxcore wire mostly 0.35 Lincolin NR-212 it works OK. You do have to switch the polarity depend on gass or gass less welding which definately changes the amount of splatter. For thicker material you need to do multiple passes and some grinding in between but can make it work. I have welded ends back onto hyraulic cylinders for a friend backhoe and they are still holding after 2 years worth of use.

The NR-212 leaves very little slag and can mostly be clean off with a wire brush.

I wonder how much of the poor welding performance mentioned is just bad consumables. Always start with good quality wire or rods and take care of them. Not to mention other simple things like cleaning the grounding area and grounding clamp. Make sure connections on the grounding clamp to the welder are clean and tight. These 120 volt units are working on limited power so you need to make the best connections you can so the power goes into the weld not a poor connection.

Last year after my lincolin sat for some time the weld performance seemed to drop. I replaced the 1 lbs spool of wire, cleaned and tightened all connection. Worked like a different machine.

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #87  
I see HF has a wire flux welder on sale for something like 89$ with coupon .. makes it tempting to think about.. at least for thin metal anyway..

soundguy

Save your money, most HF mig's are stripped down, missing the 50-100kuF capacitor and supply power to the wire feed motor from the welding side of the transformer, very hard on the control circuit pcb. Little or no penetration.

/ Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #88  
:)ROBJ, sorry man,but it sounds like you need a security system instead of a welder. zman

In progress!! Lights, Gates, more locks, noise maker.

Insurance helps, at least you can replace the bad with better, just pay the difference. AND make sure you have enough coverage.

Rob

Attachments

• burg-bars (1).JPG
    burg-bars (1).JPG
    235 KB · Views: 509
   / Harbor Freight Flux Core welders #89  
My two cents...

Neighbor has a HF Flux Core welder, i used it several times before i went out and bought mine. I thought it did an ok Job, i mean the two pieces of metal were stuck togather when i was done.

But then i picked up lincoln 140, using sheilding gas. OMG, what a difference, for me it was night and day. I couldn't stand Flux core welding, messy, ugly welds. Once you start using Gas you'll never touch that flux core crap again. I am by far no pro welder, 100% self taught.

Its worth the wait to save for a nice unit if your going to use it the rest of you life.

Get on ebay or local craigs list and pick up a used miller, lincoln or hobart you wont regret it at all. If you look for a deal, i have seen them as cheap as the HF special.

Good luck!