Dump Trailer

/ Dump Trailer #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I am seriously considering building a small scale dump trailer to use around the yard. I could use any input, advice, and help that you all have to offer.

I currently have various projects where I am moving piles of dirt, manure, rocks, etc. Using the FEL as a wheel barrow is better than a wheel barrow but still leaves room for improvement. I am thinking about a small dump cart that I could fill with my Iseki TX1500 w/FEL and pull behind my Massey MF12 garden tractor. Look both of those tractors up and you will realize that I am truly talking about small scale here.

I plan to use hydraulics for the dump. I've already got a pair of 2" rams. I'm thinking I can get a small used hydraulic pump that I can run off the engine of the MF12. I might even use a power steering pump, since some come with a built in reservoir tank. The most costly thing so far will probably be the valve. I hope that I can learn enough building this that I can then go on to build more invloved implements.

I anticipate that I'll be posting with progress, questions, etc. over the course of a few months.

I'm just in the design and gather materials stage right now. My first thing to decide is two wheel or four wheel.

Also, is hydraulic the best way to dump this?
What are some good suggestions for cheap wheels, hubs, and axles?
Should I figure in some kind of scissor lift for the dump or just go straight with the rams?

/ Dump Trailer #2  
I would recommend going and look at others out there and gather your ideas and make one better than the others, shouldn't hard to do, lots of tried and tested designs out there
Jim

/ Dump Trailer
MrJimi said:
I would recommend going and look at others out there and gather your ideas and make one better than the others, shouldn't hard to do, lots of tried and tested designs out there
Jim

Believe me, I've been looking. That's one of the reasons I wanted to ask the questions here too. This is the best place I've found for practical real world experience.

Who has had good or bad experiences with a four wheeled cart? Who has had good or bad experiences with a two wheeled cart? What are the real-world practical disadvantages to each?

I'm pretty sure that the four wheeled cart will be harder to build and I know it will be harder to maneuver. Will the additional payload and stability be worth it?

I'm going to the scrap yard tomorrow to see if I can pick up some channel or tubing for the frame. Wish me luck.

/ Dump Trailer #4  
I used to do the used steel route and I hate rust and dings and holes and bends and twist, Now I buy new straight steel for around .60 per pound.
It comes in 20 or 24 feet long and I have a DeWalt chopsaw and the steel supply has a $300. minimum and I buy more than I will need like some for the next project. The time wasted in a scrap yard looking through something the person paid .04 cents per pound and selling it for lots more is not my thing. I have made lots of things, take a look in my gallery

How big, wide, long, heavy duty do you want your trailer? ya have to take all that in consideration
Jim

/ Dump Trailer #6  
Iplayfarmer said:
IAlso, is hydraulic the best way to dump this?
What are some good suggestions for cheap wheels, hubs, and axles?
Should I figure in some kind of scissor lift for the dump or just go straight with the rams?

Hydraulic is the way to go if you have a remote. (good excuse to add one!)

Avoid making the trailer too long. It's harder to dump. Avoid making the pivot too far rearward. Overbuild! Dirt is heavy, and eats lightly-built dump trailers for lunch. I had a big "dirt giveaway" in my new pond, and saw about 5 of them damaged from overloading. It was pitiful.

/ Dump Trailer
I hadn't thought about how many scoops I'd want. Good point. Thanks.

I do know that I want the cart 4' wide max. I am in the process of converting all of my gates, etc. to accomodate my tractor and 4' implements. I think I'll want it a little longer than that...say 5'. Some of that is going to be determined by what material I can find. I'm thinking the sides could be about 18" high from the floor of the trailer. The box of the trailer would then be one cubic yard. That's quite a few scoops with my little loader. I might build a rack later to go up from that if I end up hauling leaves, branches, etc. that aren't as heavy.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb for the weight of a cubic yard of dry dirt?

Another question...

Do I use the pair of rams or just a single ram in the middle? Once again this is a question of effort vs. reward. It will be more effort and cost to set up the two rams but is the resultant stability and power worth it? Another thing to consider is that the single ram will be faster than the pair.

If I can get the standard weight of a yard of dirt I can start putting the pencil to it and see if the single will do it.

Last edited:
   / Dump Trailer #8  
Depends on how dry but aprox 2500# and aprox 3000#+ if damp.

I have a 4x8 2 ton dump trailer and it uses a single 3" x 24" cylinder.
Never had any problems dumping wet dirt other than some minor sticking.
My bucket holds a ~1/2 yard and I put four loads into it.

/ Dump Trailer #9  
Come up with some kind of size and payload and we can help you heaps more. You tilt should be fine with just one ram, remember it has to push up and not back or forward, slight angle and the double axle will be a plus, it won't teeter-totter with a load or dumping.
Jim

/ Dump Trailer #10  
A yard of dirt is gonna be a load for your Massey MF12 garden tractor. figure about 3'w x 6'L x 18"H for the bed. I think 4 wheels is a good idea for a small trailer with more than a ton on it behind that little tractor (might think about brakes).