Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets.

/ Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets. #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
When I got my Land-Pride quick hitch for my JD 4200, the JD ballast box wouldn't fit. So I made up a some brackets to do the job. About the only thing I would have done different is to make the quick hitch bushing an inch or two higher.

Photo DSC00834 shows the brackets made from 2" x 1/4" steel flat. The bushing is made from 1" SCH160 pipe. A couple of top link pins were cut short and act as locating pins on the ballast box's factory brackets.

Photo DSC00836 shows the ballast box before the brackets were installed.

Photo DSC00843 shows the brackets bolted onto the ballast box. Notice on the protruding boss of the locating pins I tapped 1/4-20 holes. I don't what if anything I'll use the holes for; but they are there if I need them. Also, the brackets have an extra hole above the quick hitch bushing should I need to connect the box up to a tractor without a quick hitch.

The powder coating looked great at the powder coater; but it is obviously has more blue than JD green. If anyone knows the manufacturer and color numbers of true JD green and yellow powder coat, I'd like to know for future reference.

Attachments

• DSC00834.jpg
    DSC00834.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 741
  • DSC00836.JPG
    DSC00836.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 655
  • DSC00843.JPG
    DSC00843.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 688
   / Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets. #2  
mjncad said:
=
The powder coating looked great at the powder coater; but it is obviously has more blue than JD green. If anyone knows the manufacturer and color numbers of true JD green and yellow powder coat, I'd like to know for future reference.

I don't really know much about powder coating, but I'm somewhat interested everytime I see them on sale at Harbor Freight. I wonder if you would be able to mix various powders together to get something closer to JD green? Or New Mahindra Red? Or...?

Also, on your ballast box...are those 12x12 concrete pavers in ther for ballast? How do you get the out? it doesn't look like there's much room to grab them once they're in.

Nice job

/ Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets. #3  
Kubota ORANGE!!!!!!!! :cool:

/ Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets.
srjones said:
I don't really know much about powder coating, but I'm somewhat interested everytime I see them on sale at Harbor Freight. I wonder if you would be able to mix various powders together to get something closer to JD green? Or New Mahindra Red? Or...?

Also, on your ballast box...are those 12x12 concrete pavers in ther for ballast? How do you get the out? it doesn't look like there's much room to grab them once they're in.

Nice job

I'm sure one can mix and match powders as long as they are of the same chemical type; but I don't know for sure. Eastwood auto tools and supplies caters to the hot rod set and they have powder coating tools and powders available. Their web site is: Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, House of Kolor Paint, Powder Coating I've heard of guys using old cast off kitchen ovens for curing the parts they powder coat. For me, I find it easier to let a pro do it as they have the sand blaster to prepare the parts, the powder guns and ovens.

As for the ballast box contents, it is 7 bags of fine play sand from Home Despot. I figure the sand and box weigh in at about 500 pounds. I keep the ballast box on a furniture dolly and wheel it around the garage with very little effort.

Thanks for the compliment.

/ Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets. #6  
MJ: Nice job on the brackets for the ballast box. Apparently JD makes two types of ballast boxes as mine is completely different than yours.

The brackets that you created are just what I was attempting to figure out for the sub-soiler I purchased at TSC a couple months ago. It looks like it will solve my problems to a tee and allow me to connect the sub-soiler to the I-Match quick hitch. Love this TBN site and the sharing of ideas & photos.

Jon

/ Quick hitch ballast box adapter brackets. #7  
6or7dazeaweek said:
Apparently JD makes two types of ballast boxes as mine is completely different than yours.

That is the "old" style BB, before they came out with the IMatch compatible version.