Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

Default Re: Have you built a leaf vacum?

Ductape,
    I understand you problem. Last house I owned, had Scyamore trees in the yard, which are large leaves, and they dump only once a year, but what a mess!
    I went out to see what the blower model # was on the blower (mentioned in another post) but was unable to read the model #. The serial number is readable, so I may call Giant Vac and see what they have on it.
    I see nothing on their website that even comes close to resembling what I bought. Guess they got away from that type of pull behind leave gathering.
    If you decide to build yours from scratch, I have a couple of different impellers that you can consider. Beats trying to build one and get it balanced.
    I may have to shoot some pictures of mine, to give you some ideas on how they work, so you can consider them in your quest for a leaf free lawn.
    The blower unit uses a larger sized blower, but still the same type as the vac, and could be easily converted to do vacumning. Just build a pick up chute for it, and blow them into a small trailer, or the back of your truck.
    The vac pretty much mulches the leaves into small pieces, so you get a lot of leaves in a small space. Due to the nature of our soil (very sandy), it also picks up a lot of that, from the bare spaces, and the sand tends to make the combination very heavy. A 30 gallon bag would not be able to be picked up by a normal person, they would be that heavy. Lucky for me, I have an area that is just right for disposal of the collected materials, so I just back up to it, and raise the door, close it and back to work. I have never filled it up, but suspect it to be a major load on the tires.
    Several of my neighbors are getting their yards raked by my vac, and they really like it. Beats a rake anyday.
    David from jax

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    B3030

I used to have a vacuum with a 3HP engine that I used with my JD318. It had a cloth bag that had a big zippered opening in the back so you could clean it out. It worked well but did not hold many leaves and it was a dusty mess to empty it. I found a pull type EZ-RAKE with a 1 cu/yd capacity hopper that opens up and emptys itself. It works a lot better and is easier and faster to use since I didn't have to empty it as often. When I bought my B3030 last year I decided to put the 3PTH to use so I modified the EZ-RAKE to do that. It is supposed to work on mowers up to 48" but it does well enough on my 60" MMM to satisfy me. I only have to slow down if the leaves are really heavy. The EZ-RAKE is now sold by Bluebird. I highly recommend it.

The second picture has the foot pedal circled that you step on to open the clamshell hopper. Gas struts help lift the rear part and hold it open.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

David, I wasn't going to make it COMPLETELY from scratch. I was thinking a Billy Goat leaf vac like i see on Ebay for the motor/impeller..... though i appreciate the the offer to copy your impeller. I was figuring that even some of the walk behind vacs i see out there could be modified to take a hose to suck from my mower deck. Mount the motor/impeller to my tph and run another hose to my whatever-i-come-up-with-to-catch-the-leaves. My old Woods L59 mower deck doesn't really hug the ground like alot of the newer mowers.... so i'm wondering if i may need more than the 5-6 horse i see on the cheesy collectors i see at the big-box stores.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Toolguy..... that is a nice setup ! I'm going to look around a bit more before i decide to build or buy a leaf collector. Yours looks like a good sized bin for me. I've read up a bit on the Cyclone Rake here..... and though owners say they work well, it sounds like they make ALOT of dust due to the hopper being made of fabric. We have a new DR Power store i need to go check out about an hour from me. I had thoughts i could come up with something with plenty of suction that wouldn't look too butchered together for reasonable money. Wish me luck !

Tractor

If Toolguy's is a one yard capacity, then mine must be... maybe 8 or 10??

If your looking for something to pick up the leaves and put them in bags, one of the best things I can think of is a snapper mower. Get one of the 28 or 30 inch high lift units, with the bagger that has the twin garbage bag holes, and go to it. You can pick up one of them reasonably and they will pick up leaves. That is what I used at the other house. However, out here where I live now, I could fill the Snapper bag by just going to where I dump them, and back, never making a pass around the yard. I finally started parking the truck in the middle of the yard, and dumping the leaves into it, so I could get the yard done.
    Anyone who thinks they can pick up leaves and not stir up dust, is using a piece of machinery I want to see. My Giant Vac creates quite a dust storm, but there is a reason for it. The cover that keeps the dust down has several holes in it, and really needs replacing. I think it will slow the dust a little when that is replaced. Picking up leaves on a good solid grass bass will keep the dust down, but sparse grass with open areas of dirt (or sand) allow for quite a dust storm. One good thing about my Giant Vac is the dust is quite a distance behind me while pulling it with my Steiner. The tongue length in addition to the blower are ahead of the leaf catching hopper, and where the dust escapes. Probably at least 4 to 6 feet to it from the trailer hitch pin.

Ductape,
    I wasn't offering to let you copy my impeller, I was going to send you one. I have a couple I purchased when I decided I needed a vac, and the impeller getting balanced was the part I was having trouble with. So I bid on a couple on ebay and won them. If you decide to build it from scratch, let me know and I will let you pay the shipping.
    However, unless you are a good metal worker, I would shy away from building a complete unit, even with the impeller furnished. The housing alone is a job.
    David from jax

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

I don't know if you could turn it into a vac but an old used silo blower could move then into the next county. Golf courses use them and I would not want to stand in the way of the discharge chute.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Silver Member

Branson 4720 TLB with Thumb/John Deer 310/Mcormick Deering W-4

Tractor

eBay: GIANT VAC TRAILER LEAF TRUCK LOADER 16 HP ENGINE (item 280031424357 end time Oct-02-06 18:52:23 PDT)

This is like one of the ones I purchased, for the electric start motor. I paid about half of what it is selling for, since I was also buying the Lawn Vac. Mine has the guard over the impeller, and a stout hose on the exhaust side.
    David from jax

Quote Originally Posted by TractorDale
    I've built one that I'm still perfecting: JD rider mower- fabricated collector from 1/4" angle and 22g sheet that attatches to deck outlet. Then 6" reinforced dust collector tubing from Grizzly to dust collector fan mounted to 5hp Honda engine orphaned from POS powerwasher-fan assembly same size as engine shaft-creates incredible suction. Then more hose to trailer built with 1/4" wire mesh.

Will post some pics if you would like.

Good luck.

Dale
    Hello looking to build one myself do you have any plans or picturs

Tractor
    BCS Vivid 300

Hi,

Have agoogle search for dust extractors, I found link a couple of years ago to a US site that explained how to build the impeller chamber and Canadian source of impellers. for those that want to self build.

I too would be interested in pics of what evryone has built etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast