Whats happening with Steel prices

/ Whats happening with Steel prices
Anybody have an idea of what Silver is going to do? I have a neighbor that says it may triple. Any other Ideas?

David

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #12  
I just found an awesome scrap yard and bought a piece of steel (approx. 2'x3' plate, about a 1/4 inch thick) for $5. It weighs about 82 lbs. which if my math is correct is about 16.4 cents a pound. Is this a good deal? If it is, I'm heading back there and buying some more scrap. They had about 4 or 5 more pieces of the same plates just laying in the dirt. I feel like I've found the mother load here locally. Don't know what other services they offer at this point but when I head back there I'll ask more questions.

thanks!
Steve

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #13  
StevenPaul said:
... 16.4 cents a pound. Is this a good deal?

Darn right! That is less than half of what I'm paying. And I thought I was getting a good price. Now I'm bummed. :(

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #14  
MadReferee said:
Right, in 10 years maybe but not any time in the near future..

MadRef,
I think your on the money on that statement ! ;) Did you buy any chance watch the Discovery Channel program on China the other night ? I was totally amazed what they are doing over there and the amount of raw material they are consuming !!! I thought I heard someone say that Shangai is 8 times larger than NYC ? :eek: :)

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #15  
Thanks Sparkman,

I thought it might be a good deal but I had to double check. Tomorrow is my wife's birthday, wonder how she'd feel if I came home with $100 worth of scrap metal and told her, I'm gonna build you your birthday present, didn't you want one of those thingamajigs you saw at TSC (Tractor Supply) :D :rolleyes: :D But serioulsy, I'm pretty pumped about finding this place, as with any scrap yard I suppose they have just about anything, they even have some of my drool on the dirt now :D But it's also like food, my eyes are bigger than my time and skills! :eek: And just like it says in the Good Book, "the eyes are never satisfied"

thanks again,
Steve

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #16  
I know that place in San Diego, they had great stuff at very reasonable prices!

Now I'm in KC, I haven't found the local equivalent and I miss it sorely.........

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #17  
I just got taken on a piece of steel, and I've been a metalworker for 40 years!

Went to a local supplier because of the recommendation of a welder friend from the job. He knows thye guys at this place. Got a 2 foot piece of 3x3x1/4 angle. Clean and new, but still a piece of scrap. The owner knew where I worked and all the welders there. He charged me $10 and tolm me what a great deal I was getting!

I paid with no question, but, this guy will never see this face again!

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #18  
BlacknTan said:

Went to a local supplier because of the recommendation of a welder friend from the job. He knows thye guys at this place. Got a 2 foot piece of 3x3x1/4 angle. Clean and new, but still a piece of scrap. The owner knew where I worked and all the welders there. He charged me $10 and tolm me what a great deal I was getting!

Well, let's see. 3" x 3" x 1/4" angle weighs 4.9 lbs per foot. You got 2' so that weighs 10 lbs rounded up. Cost should have been about 50 cents per lb or $5 total. Yep, he took you good.:(

/ Whats happening with Steel prices
WHY, do people have to do that? They must know they,re not going to be in business long. I've only been taken once (seriously) in my life and it was from an old guy in South western New York, Called himself Chief and had a Mow-hock:eek:

David

/ Whats happening with Steel prices #20  
BlacknTan said:

I'm pretty sure I could have gotten that same piece in Stainless for that amount - Maybe he miscalculated? I would have questioned it. I know it is only $10 today for a small piece, but what if it comes down to you really need something and this is the only guy that has it? At least let him know he's screwing you!