Hobart or Lincoln?

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #1  

TexasSD

Tractor
Zennoh ~ L225
Sorry, another help me with a welder thread!

Under intense interrogation from my wife about an anniversary present, I finally broke and let it slip that I might need a welder.

So, considering that I'll hopefully be using this welder for the next 20 years or so, I began doing research in earnest. My first stop was TBN, searching all the welding threads. Then on to the various welding forums. There was a lot of good information gathered and digested, which resulted in some decisions and a lot more questions.

I learned that I wanted a 220V Mig instead of a 110V unit. My original intent was to get a 110V mig and later a stick welder. Since I have access to these items at my dad's I decided to trade the portability of the 110V for the deeper penetration of the 220V and don't think I'll probably need to get the stick welder anymore.

I'm planning on the usual stuff, light fabrication, repair etcetera. Nothing fancy, I'm never going to be a professional welder, I just want something relatively reliable that will produce a strong weld.

So, for me it comes down to the Hobart Handler 180 or the Lincoln Pro-MIG 175 (SP175T). The Hobart is $527 delivered and the Lincoln is $585 delivered.

So why am I asking this question here vs. one of the welding forums? Well, this is home, and I value the members opinions for one. I don't post a lot, but I do lurk a lot and the real world experience here is immense and the atmosphere is congenial rather than filled with testosterone as a lot of the boards are. Additionally, on one of the more prevalent welding boards there is an individual that was denegrating the Hobart before it had even come out. From his posts I don't think he's even ever used it. He may be correct in his opinions, I don't know, a lot of members over there parrot his dialogue, but, I'd rather have some opinions here. The gist is that the Hobart is not set up properly (too much voltage and too soft an arc) for thick welds and results in too much spatter and not enough penetration.

The price difference is insignificant between the two, and I didn't include the Miller in the choice because I don't see the need to spend the extra $100 to have infinite settings. The Hobart has 4 taps and the Lincoln has 5. I don't know how much difference that makes. I Don't think I need anything bigger than 175 amps for my use.

So, has anyone got any real world experience with these machines that they would like to pass on?

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #2  
I prefer Miller welders because I sold them for a number of years and most of my customers, who were professional welders, preferred Miller. I think that Hobart and Miller are now the same company, and the little Hobart and Miller wire welders look the same and share many (most?) of the same internals.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #3  
Most of the time Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are essentially equal. It is like a question of "is it fifty cents or half a dollar?) There is a reason why they are top line brands and they are in competition so don't expect much difference. I chose the Lincoln 120VAC MIG with the gas capability and have never bought a roll of wire for that use or a bottle of gas. I have used exclusively the flux cored wire from Lincoln, currently $44/10 lb roll at Lowe's and $77 for brand X at a welding supply shop. I have abused the heck out of my unit for a bit over 10 years (if memory serves) and the only problem has been tripping the thermal self protect and having to take a break while waiting for it to cool off and go again. This due to totally ignoring the duty cycle specs. I use the contact tips until they are pathetic. It takes a licking and keeps on MIGing. I also have the "STANDARD" AC/DC Lincoln "TOMB STONE" stick welder for 10 years plus and it will weld heavier stuff than either of the 220VAC MIGS you are considering. I like your original plan better. The portability of the 120VAC MIG makes it super handy (portability supported by easily met generator requirements.) Of course if you never get into HEAVY METAL or don't mind the limitations of your proposed MIG and won't feel compelled to get a stick rig for the heavier stuff then maybe your gamble of spending more on the MIG and trying to skip the stick will pay off. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Either way you are off to a good start when you are limiting your candidates to all well proven brands. I recently bought a 12-27 amp plasma cutter and returned it to upgrade to the 40 amp model (Hypertherm - a good name in plasma cutters)-------------------------- Pat

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #4  
As the others said there is not much difference either one will be a quality unit.

Check the price, and add up what all of the accesories that you will get and MAY get. I doubt there will be much difference but perhaps that may push you one way or the other.

steve

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #5  
Like the rest, I don't think there is really much difference. I have a MIG, TIG, 3 stick welders and a HyperTherm 1250 plasma cutter. I can't tell you why, but I like the feel and the quality of the bead laid down with the MillerMatic MIGs over the Lincoln or Hobart. Maybe it's just in my head, but I've heard others comment the same.

Personally, I have no use for the flux core stuff in a MIG. If I use flux, I'll just grab one of my stick machines. Some people don't want to mess with the bottle of gas and say it's expensive. I think the welding shop down the road charges me about $16 per tank (80 cf), so price really isn't an issue. I would think it isn't any more expensive than buying the flux core wire and, with me, I can see the puddle better and have no slag at all using solid wire and gas. But, that's just me. After all these years I'm kind of set in my ways. Anyway, I'd consider Miller in your choices but also I don't think you would go wrong with any of them.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #6  
I think you would be fine with either.

I have owned neither of those machines but a close friend of mine makes his living using the Lincoln equipment and that is the welder he chose (he is sponsored by lincoln) to sit atop his Plasma cart. I know the Lincoln will prove very capable.

If it were I, it would be a Lincoln or a Miller.

If they are both available locally (I am guessing not since you said "delivered") I would suggest you look at the drive roll mechanism and see which looked more robust and had more wire diameter capabilities.

I think as long as you stay with a major player, you cannot go wrong.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #7  
I was just speaking with a friend about this last night. He's a certified High-Vacuum welder, and the best welder I've ever seen. He had to retire due to heart problems, and now spends his time welding up NASCAR Modifieds.

Naturally, he prefers Blue (Miller) over anything. But, for the "semi pro", he also recommends Lincoln......

/ Hobart or Lincoln?
patrick_g said:
I like your original plan better. The portability of the 120VAC MIG makes it super handy (portability supported by easily met generator requirements.) Of course if you never get into HEAVY METAL or don't mind the limitations of your proposed MIG and won't feel compelled to get a stick rig for the heavier stuff then maybe your gamble of spending more on the MIG and trying to skip the stick will pay off. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Either way you are off to a good start when you are limiting your candidates to all well proven brands. I recently bought a 12-27 amp plasma cutter and returned it to upgrade to the 40 amp model (Hypertherm - a good name in plasma cutters)-------------------------- Pat

If I didn't have access to 3 Stick welders and a 110V Mig, this is definitely the route I would go. But, I don't think I'll weld anything bigger than 3/8ths and if I do, I'll just do multiple passes or borrow the stick. Luckily, I also have a good sized generator that can handle the 220V Mig.

I got to use a plasma cutter for the first time last weekend. Wow, I can see one of those in my future as well.

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #9  
I have the lincon and I like it. My bud has a miller and I like it. I have not used the hobart, but I have used some of their other products, and I like them.

I think as others have said that they are tit for tat in the market place.

Dane

/ Hobart or Lincoln? #10  
patrick_g said:
Most of the time Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are essentially equal. It is like a question of "is it fifty cents or half a dollar?) There is a reason why they are top line brands and they are in competition so don't expect much difference. I chose the Lincoln 120VAC MIG with the gas capability and have never bought a roll of wire for that use or a bottle of gas. I have used exclusively the flux cored wire from Lincoln, currently $44/10 lb roll at Lowe's and $77 for brand X at a welding supply shop. I have abused the heck out of my unit for a bit over 10 years (if memory serves) and the only problem has been tripping the thermal self protect and having to take a break while waiting for it to cool off and go again. This due to totally ignoring the duty cycle specs. I use the contact tips until they are pathetic. It takes a licking and keeps on MIGing. I also have the "STANDARD" AC/DC Lincoln "TOMB STONE" stick welder for 10 years plus and it will weld heavier stuff than either of the 220VAC MIGS you are considering. I like your original plan better. The portability of the 120VAC MIG makes it super handy (portability supported by easily met generator requirements.) ......----------------------- Pat

I too have had the 110 volt Lincoln wire feed for 10+ years, and it's held up very well for me too. I've welded 3/8 thick stuff with it--granted with multiple passes. I bought the 10 lb spool adaptor also. It's very rarely clicked off for exceeding the duty cycle. For convenience, it's great, and it's ideal for thinner stuff, where my inexperienced hand would burn through if I was using a stick.

I have bought the gas conversion kit but never put it on, flux-cored has met my needs. I dug out the gas conversion kit last night and couldn't find the instructions for the kit, so I emailed Lincoln Electric. This morning I got a phone call from Lincoln asking where they could fax me my missing instructions...now THAT's service!!!

I have also bought the AC/DC 225/125 Lincoln tombstone and it's worked well so far too, so now I can weld most anything I choose. For less than $1000, I've two welders that can cover a heckuva lot of ground. The DC is great for starting the arc, by the way.