Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Excavator Samsung SE130LCM

Default 3 point hitch log lift

Has anyone build a log lifter for a tractor. I do not want to move the logs, just lift them up to make cutting them with a chain saw easier. I did not find any recent threads on this, but if anyone has any ideas for making wood cutting easier, it would be appreciated.

Puck
    ???

Tractor
    Mahindra 2015 HST-- Snapper 1650, Snapper 1438

Default Re: 3 point hitch log lift

We lift one end, put a small piece of wood for a fulcrum under that end and push down with the front end loader on the short end, It lifts the log so you can saw the whole thing. works great.. John
    If ya don't do it when ya get to it, ya may never get to it to do it again

Tractor
    MF 135 Perkins Gas

I can think of two ways to do it, use a shackle to hang a set of logging tongs off a drawbar or use a set of forks.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I use forks on my loader, I just lift the tree and cut from both ends
    Kubota B7800, Sundown Loader Forks, Landpride PHD, Sundown 66" Box Blade, 800 pound Ballast Drum with chain storage, ATI Grapple, 60" WR Long Diverter, Landpride Brush mower, 7' Landpride Rake,Manlift platform, Bucket mounted 6' Snow Plow, 3 point Cherry Picker, Subsoiler

I built a log skidder attachment for my 3 point and can use it to lift for cutting. I just back up to the log at right angles and use a chain or tongs to grab the log and raise the 3 point to lift to lift the log.
    I also have built a timber jack which is much handier to use on smaller/lighter sections.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

I just lift one end with the bucket and cut most of the way thru with the chainsaw, drop the log. roll it over with the bucket and finish the cut, roll the pieces into the bucket and take to the splitter.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Use the tractor bucket with forks. You can keep the log at a comfortable height.

If the log is too heavy saw part way through and then roll over with the bucket.

Picture of simple ugly forks attached. Note the two top prongs to keep the log from comming back to sit in your lap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Appologies about dredging this old thread up. I am doing due dilligence before converting a HF QH into a TPH skidder and saw Egon's photo. Are those truck springs? I like that idea.
    -Jim
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    Appologies about dredging this old thread up. I am doing due dilligence before converting a HF QH into a TPH skidder and saw Egon's photo. Are those truck springs? I like that idea.
    -Jim
    I did something very similar allthough I used 2" heavy wall tube for the forks. About 2' long. Works great for lifting the logs.

I Had some angle iron when laid in the corner of the bucket was the perfect inside dimensions for standard 2" tubing. Allthough you could also use actual hitch tubing if you wanted.

I drilled and tapped a hole at the very back of the fork and put a bolt in to keep them from falling out and it doesnt put any stress on a crosspin.

I chose the very corners of the bucket for strength. That way I am not just welded to the bottom lip, but rather the side plate as well. One of the best parts is if you use the 2" tube like this, you can put you reciever inserts in as well for moving trailers. I have also made two short "stub" forks that dont extend beyone the bucket edge. I got tired of digging all the dirt out when I wanted to put the forks on.

And another benifit I found out is, when cutting wood, I can get a log in the air that is about double what I can actually lift. Once under the log, plat the heel of the bucket into the gound and rollback. Most loaders have more breakout/curl force than lift force. By planting the heel, you arent putting any added weight on the front end, and the geometry of the bucket and curl back angle allows you to get a log a good 10" off the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 point hitch log lift-dec22_0001.jpg   3 point hitch log lift-dec22_0002.jpg  
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    KOBOTA L3540

The first one I made was for the 3 point[last pic] and used a pair of tongs to pickup the log. This worked great if you had two people to balance and cut. Now I have a tractor with a QA loader so I made a 2" receiver and bolted it to a blank plate that I made for lifting logs and my snowplow. So now I use the 3" point for skidding and the plate for lifting, also sometimes I use my forks for cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 point hitch log lift-dscf0052.jpg   3 point hitch log lift-dscf0053.jpg   3 point hitch log lift-dscf0050.jpg   3 point hitch log lift-dscf0046.jpg  
    KUBOTA L3540 W / LA724 QA FEL, FEL Mounted 6' snowplow, C.A. 48" QA Pallet forks, Woods RB60, 60' Landscape rake w/wheels, 3pt log skider/ball mount, boom pole, 3pt Homemade carryall w/dump, Other self-made attachments
    ---------------------------
    ----------------

Rely on the things you can do, and make on your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast