Ditch & Bank Mower Build

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #21  
Great work, looks like it will do the job! My thought on attaching the cylinder would be: on the third photo where the two pieces come off at a 90 degree angle, raise them up on the boom arm, use a little heavier metal and reinforce with some gussets. You could then attach a cylinder intead of the straight piece of metal, then you would be able to move the deck up and down with the contours of the land. Envision how a backhoe controls the bucket, pushing and pulling while the boom is stationary. If this helps great, if it is a dumb idea :eek:, Egon made me say it! (just kidding Egon) :D

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build
Hi Dozernut, I am trying to visualize how you said to hook it up but I am having trouble. Is there any way you can post a drawing? The two pieces of steel coming off the arm is 2”x ½ thick and the single one is 2”x ¾ thick. Do you think I need to use thicker material?

Thanks for everything.

Joe

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #23  
From the picture I could not tell if it was tubing or solid. From what you describe that should be more than adequate. Attached is a crude picture of what I was trying to convey. I am not an engineer, just a tinkerer, so please don't laugh too hard!

Last edited:
Thanks Dozernut for the drawing, that was the first way I wanted to mount it but the motor and spindle was in the way to bring it up to full tilt.

I used your drawing to show what I am trying to do. By attaching cylinder to the center of lever it cuts down on length of stroke I need.

Thanks again Dozernut I really like your feedback.

Joe

Attachments

• mower drawing.jpg
    mower drawing.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,481
   / Ditch & Bank Mower Build #25  
guys, it doesnt matter what length of parallel arms you use, if you mount the cylinder and deck pivot closer to each other you'll gain more tilt on the same stroke length. If you use arms of unequal length like the folding mechanism of a truck mounted crane, you could gain stroke length, or get mechanical advantage of having the same tilt force at all angles of tilt.

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to give a little update on my mower progress.
Everything is in place and I am ready to run the hydraulic hoses.

Attached are a few pics. Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• Bank Cutter 1.jpg
    Bank Cutter 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,978
  • Bank Cutter 2.jpg
    Bank Cutter 2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,591
  • Hyd. Motor.jpg
    Hyd. Motor.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,681
   / Ditch & Bank Mower Build #27  
I am always in awe of folks who can put together stuff that has more than 2 variables. Getting the cylinders and arm lengths where you want them for optimum performance.

Did you use a cad program, or a model, or just "do it til it looks right"?

Oh one other thought: On the ram that controls the tilt of the deck, if you can use a chain instead of a fixed strap, if the outboard edge hits the ground, it would allow it to ride up instead of digging in. Or make the "rigid strap" so it can float if the outboard edge hits.

Ron

Hi Ron, To try and figure out what I needed and how to get it to go together I looked at brochures, web sites, no CAD just many scratch pads. There was one design that I really liked and tried to somewhat model after it.

Attached is an image I borrowed off the "Power Trac" wed site. I hope they don't mind I could not get link to work.

Ron your idea about using chains on deck tilt to have some give is extremely interesting. I have wanted a way to have some protection in case of striking an immovable object, plus your idea also adds a float feature. I really appreciate your input, Thanks Ron.

Joe

Attachments

• PowerTrac.jpg
    PowerTrac.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,643
   / Ditch & Bank Mower Build #29  
Joe,

Glad to help where ever I can. Sometimes it helps to have other eyes look at what you are building.............

Ron

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #30  
How do you get the boom up with out putting the arm out because the boom cylinder is retacted already and the mower head is on the ground in " bank mower 1" just wondering.

minimax