Ditch & Bank Mower Build

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #51  
Hi glad to see you have made it all work ok.

After a very long delay due to work i have finally fot the Flail hedge cutter working today - only arounsd 5 years since started!

Glad to say performs well.

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #52  
That is awesome Jose, but i am looking for something simple that i could just attach to the bucket, or 3pt, although you you have given me an idea for maybe doing something with the backhoe.

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #53  
My husband and I are wondering about the design on a side arm cutter to custom build ourselves. We have a very old tractor 1950's Ford. We saw a member designed a side arm cutter by using the deck from a riding mower. I can not get the link to his additional photos to open a webpage. It is a very old posting. We wondered if the side arm was driven by the tractor engine, and if so how do you handle the driveshaft? We have a riding mower with a bad engine, so we could use the deck but not the engine. Thanks for your help!

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #54  
It would be cheaper to stick an engine on the mower deck. Gear boxes are too expensive if you are concerned about cost.

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #55  
Well, I almost wrote a very long post, until I saw this topic is 5 years old. Since I am here might as well add a couple of thoughts.

To address the issue of the shearpin, just incase you hit something that will bend the boom arms. I suggest adding a knuckle at the top of the outermost arm where the arm itself can swing backwards if needed. To this knuckle, you can use a single acting cylinder so it only has power in the extended direction. Where the hydraulic line hooks to the knuckle cylinder, attach a relief valve with a low pressure setting that will let the cylinder retract if the mower hits something that doesnt want to move. The relief valve can be hooked into the extend side of the boom lift cylinder so any fluid that is dumped back thru the relief will automaticly lift the boom off the ground and the knuckel cylinder will retract. Once the object that activated the knuckle and lift movement is cleared, you can again lower the boom and it should automaticly reset the knuckel position and you are back to mowing.

Anyways, just a thought I had while reading thru the other posts. If anyone is looking for a longarm boom, I have one off a Pa18 Mcconnel mower. 18ft I believe, Have all cylinders and the valves and pto pumps. I used the frail mower on a small trackhoe. You would have to come to Western NC to get it, I aint even going to try to ship. PM if interested.

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #57  
So I looked at this thread very closely. I did look at the commercially available boom mowers and got a quote of $12K for one, which is not even remotely in my budget at this stage of the game. My property has a lot of ditches which need attention, so I do need something like this. The fabrication part is well within my skill set, I do enjoy welding and general metal-working. The piece I am weak on is the hydraulics. Can you tell me what sort of hydraulics you need to run something like this boom mower or a backhoe. I ordered my tractor with the 3rd SCV, but it didn't come with it. Now the dealer is saying the 3rd SCV is not going to work, but they can do the 4th/5th SCV. I asked if I could run a backhoe with that and he says I need a "power beyond" kit, which is another 400 bones.

So I thought I'd come to the collective to learn. What do you need in terms of hydraulics and controls to run the 3 rams needed for a backhoe or boom mower?

I have a new Deere 3520, which has a FEL. Thanks for any help!

Greg

/ Ditch & Bank Mower Build #58  
So I looked at this thread very closely. I did look at the commercially available boom mowers and got a quote of $12K for one, which is not even remotely in my budget at this stage of the game. My property has a lot of ditches which need attention, so I do need something like this. The fabrication part is well within my skill set, I do enjoy welding and general metal-working. The piece I am weak on is the hydraulics. Can you tell me what sort of hydraulics you need to run something like this boom mower or a backhoe. I ordered my tractor with the 3rd SCV, but it didn't come with it. Now the dealer is saying the 3rd SCV is not going to work, but they can do the 4th/5th SCV. I asked if I could run a backhoe with that and he says I need a "power beyond" kit, which is another 400 bones.

So I thought I'd come to the collective to learn. What do you need in terms of hydraulics and controls to run the 3 rams needed for a backhoe or boom mower?

I have a new Deere 3520, which has a FEL. Thanks for any help!

Greg

You need what I already have and need to get rid of.
Anyways, just a thought I had while reading thru the other posts. If anyone is looking for a longarm boom, I have one off a Pa18 Mcconnel mower. 18ft I believe, Have all cylinders and the valves and pto pumps. I used the frail mower on a small trackhoe. You would have to come to Western NC to get it, I aint even going to try to ship. PM if interested.

The ptopump, hydraulic tank, valves, and boom all hook to the three point hitch. The valves are controlled by cables from the tractor seat. All you need to make what I have work is another cutter head. Not sure of the weight of your tractor, it might be a little small for this longarm setup.