Snowplow Frame.....Super A

/ Snowplow Frame.....Super A #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
I need to build a snowplow frame for my 49 Farmall Super A. I have a snowblade on my 42 A, but I dont have hydraulics, so I have been using a strongarm lift the get the blade off the ground :confused:

I have always liked the idea of pushing from the backside of the tractor. International Harvester made a snowblade and mount for the Super A, but they only used the front cultivator mount, which IMHO, stresses the front steeringbox and torque tube unecessarily. Possibly resulting in casting cracks or worse :mad:

Here are some pics of me fabricating the rear frame which will bolt inbetween the final drives. This frame will inturn be pinned to the front frame, which I have fabricated allready. The front frame uses the cultivator square mount tube to bolt up to.

I will post more shots tommorrow.

Attachments

• Frame1.jpg
    Frame1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,488
  • Frame2.jpg
    Frame2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Frame3.jpg
    Frame3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 941
  • Frame4.jpg
    Frame4.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,284
   / Snowplow Frame.....Super A
Oh sorry, almost forgot :) The end plates are 5/8" x 2 x 7. The rectangular tube is 1 1/2" x 3". I just tacked it up in case my measurements are slightly off :confused: :)

/ Snowplow Frame.....Super A #3  
I like your mill - what size/type/brand is that?

/ Snowplow Frame.....Super A #4  
Evening Scott.
Project has really got my attendion...looking forward to more updates also pics thur the different stages.

/ Snowplow Frame.....Super A #5  
very interesting thread, way beyond my capabilties but sure interesting to view. would most definetly like to see the finished product.

/ Snowplow Frame.....Super A #6  
It always amazes me when I see some of you guys with machinery that obviously know how to use them, whip out some of these nice looking projects. Keep those pictures coming please!

czechsonofagun said:
I like your mill - what size/type/brand is that?

Mornon Prokop,
It is a Bridgeport miller with a Anilam 3200 MK CNC control. I will be posting more pics of the project today.

Mornin Guys,
The first pic is of inside view of the threaded studs on the final drives. And no, that isnt my weld job on the drawbar, thats another thing that was cobbled together and needs to be fixed :)

The second pic and not a great one either :( , are bronze bushings that I made up to go over the threaded section of the studs so as not to damage the threads on that spot. When I made the end plates for the rear frame I made the cutouts large enough to accomodate the added diameter of the bushings.

The third pic is the rear frame in position inbetween the final drives. I guess I can still measure, it fit perfectly :)

The fourth pic is the front frame on the 42 A along with my strongarm lift and the pulleys that I made up along with the coated braided cable used for lifting the plow :( That got old after awhile, and thats what this whole project is about. To be able to use the hydraulics on the Super A to save the 55 year old arm :) More pics to come.

Attachments

• ThreadedStuds.jpg
    ThreadedStuds.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 780
  • Bushings.jpg
    Bushings.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 699
  • RearFrame.jpg
    RearFrame.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 823
  • Front-Frame.jpg
    Front-Frame.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 996
   / Snowplow Frame.....Super A #9  
same idea as we use on our '45 A, our push arms on our plow extend back, and pivot where your rear mount is... works great, and keeps the tractor from wanting to drive over the blade, like the mount on your '42 incourages.

ours had the armstrong lift, when my great grandpa got the tractor, but my grandpa rigged up a hyd cyl to life the blade, much, much better :D

Afternoon Guys,
Sorry for the delay on this project ! :confused: I think the wife had me busy doing things on the honey do list ! :)

The first pic are the pieces that will attach the front frame to the rear frame. I will be using 1/2" stainless pins to go through these plates and tack them into position on the rear frame. They are 5/8" x 2". I made the legs longer than necessary so that I can easily clamp them on the rear frame for alignment purposes.

The second pic is the modified Cub blade. The Cub blade was originally 54" and we added 7" on each side for a total width of 68". We also added a wear blade on the bottom and added another piece on top to make it higher to push more snow :)

The third and last pic is all the hardware behind the plow. This blade does angle two positions to the right and left.

I have some of the blade raising hardware from the original Cub owner, and hopefully I can modify it to accomodate the larger Super A.

After the holiday I hope to finish this thing up.

Thanks!
BTW, sorry about the dates on the pics they are not correct, I just took those photos today. Also, sorry I have the pics out of order also, Im sure you get the idea!

Attachments

• Plow 1.jpg
    Plow 1.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 769
  • Plow 2.jpg
    Plow 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 660
  • RearFrame.jpg
    RearFrame.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 618
  • Brkt-Rear-Frame.jpg
    Brkt-Rear-Frame.jpg