HH140 Mig welder

/ HH140 Mig welder #11  
Sully2 said:
If..IF I already would have had a 220 outlet in my garage ( which I estimated would have set me back another $120 bucks to do) Id have sprung for the HH180...but I was looking at cost..and also the jobs I intend on doing.

And then to boot...I had to lay out some hard earned $$ for a good AD helmut ( which I absolutely adore now that I have it)

I would never "talk down" a 180 or so amp model..not by any means...but it just didnt fit into my games plans at this point!

It sounds like you bought exactly what you need for your situation. BTW, I've always used the tip dip and it makes a huge difference in the spatter sticking to the tip and seems to make consumables last longer. I don't particularly care for the spray type, but rather the wax like stuff in the jar. Just weld something for about 30 seconds to heat up your tip and then give it a quick dip in the goop. If your tip isn't hot, you'll pull it out with a big wad stuck in the end of your nozzle. That'll make for a big runny mess. One dip lasts a while. You'll know when it's time to dip again.

/ HH140 Mig welder #12  
I've got one of those Lincoln 175's also and I really like it, I've had it for several years and I've burned a bunch of wire thru it with no problems. The only issue I have with it is it's a bit light for use on stainless, but it'll lay down a nice clean bead with practise!

/ HH140 Mig welder #13  
I have the HH175 and, while it runs on 220V, it only requires 35 amps so I was able to wire for it myself with wire I already had. I ran one line from the breaker box to outlets on three different walls in the barn. Since I have only one welder I'm not worried about overloading the circuit.

/ HH140 Mig welder
Gary_in_Indiana said:
I have the HH175 and, while it runs on 220V, it only requires 35 amps so I was able to wire for it myself with wire I already had. I ran one line from the breaker box to outlets on three different walls in the barn. Since I have only one welder I'm not worried about overloading the circuit.
Well...as I mentioned before..IF I already would have had 220V in my garage..I would have gotten the HH180..at only 150 more $$...but I was going to have to buy 100 ft of wire..a 220V breaker...abut 10 ft of conduit..the 220 outlet itself..etc..etc..AND had to string it all.

110V-20 amps circuits I have mucho of here

/ HH140 Mig welder #15  
Please don't take this wrong, but don't you have an electric dryer or are you set up on gas or something? Most houses here have a dryer outlet in the garage, but it is probably a regional thing.

/ HH140 Mig welder #16  
Sully2 said:
Well...as I mentioned before..IF I already would have had 220V in my garage..I would have gotten the HH180..at only 150 more $$...but I was going to have to buy 100 ft of wire..a 220V breaker...abut 10 ft of conduit..the 220 outlet itself..etc..etc..AND had to string it all.

110V-20 amps circuits I have mucho of here

I know what ya mean I just bought 62ft of 6ga wire at .92 a ft. X3 for another welding plug in my shop, the wire was the steepest cost everything else was cheap.

/ HH140 Mig welder
AlanB said:
Please don't take this wrong, but don't you have an electric dryer or are you set up on gas or something? Most houses here have a dryer outlet in the garage, but it is probably a regional thing.

Washer / dryer/ etc are in the basement

/ HH140 Mig welder
wushaw said:
I know what ya mean I just bought 62ft of 6ga wire at .92 a ft. X3 for another welding plug in my shop, the wire was the steepest cost everything else was cheap.

Well..also in the spring / summer of 2007...Im building a small "storage / shop/ etc building here. I'll be running BIG wire underground for it and fully intend on installing a 220V outlet "near" the front doors so that I can work outside in a portion of my gravel drive! I need to get ALMOST ALL of the "JUNK" out of my 2 1/2 car garage..and the junk is going out there...bit at least the way the roof will be designed..I'll have a "covered" olace to change oil in the tractor..sharpen lawn mower blades...etc..and a place to put all the garden hand tools...finally...lol

It wont be large enough to park my Kubota inside..but at least with a coverd shed roof off of it...it can stay "dry".