Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #1  

hz293

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510HSD
The title says it all. Mostly, where do you buy your wire and what do you pay. In the beginning I'll probably use .035 flux core because I don't have a gas bottle yet. Is there much difference for a novice like me to build projects using flux vs gas. Most of my welding will be done outside. I bought a Harbor Freight AD helmet, long gloves and a mig welder stand. I have vice grips, clamps and hammers. What else do I need to build some of the projects for my Kubota B7510 that I've seen in these threads. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Harris

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #2  
I just bought my Lincoln SP175 and have no prior mig experience. That in mind, I also bought the Harbor Freight cart and will advise to be careful when rolling it. It is taller than the cart Lincoln sells and is top heavy. It would be a shame to drop that nice welder on the floor. It does have an extra shelf that is handy for related tools, wire, grinders, etc.. I bought the larger bottle from the local welding shop (full) and it was not much more $ than the small empty bottle from TSC. I started right off with gas welding (.030) and it makes a real clean bead.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #3  
Well.. lets see.. a chipping hammer may be usefull.. not so much for mig.but a little for flux or stick. The chissle side is great for knocking off spatter 'pimples'. A wire brush, a 4" cheapy angle grinder. ( heck.. and a metal cutting band saw or at least a chop saw.. at a minimum.. 2 cheapy angle grinders.. one with a cutoff wheel.. the other with a grinding wheel.

With mig/flux, the grinder will be used a bit less than with a stick welder. on a stick.. you'd have to use the grinder to prep the metal a bit and v-cut, then use it to clean up a little, depending on what you were doing. on mig/flux.. probably more pre-prep.. and less after prep...

I think for outdoor welding, and no experience, you may actually have better luck with the flux wire, vs shielding gas. Shielding gas is pretty easy to disipate in almost no breeze.. however burning flux fumes at the weld joint still tend to do their job..

Ya might consider a nice welding apron, and a set of shoe chaps ( or boots ) and a welding jacket.. or even a good old 3$ 'goodwill' heavy jacket.

I use an old heavy denim jacket to weld with. it's a bit tattered around the collar.. but the sleaves are intact and beefy. That, and a good set of hich cuff gloves, and a good helmet=no flashburns.

The boots also prevent 'hotfoot'.

Also, in general.. an inexpensive fire extinguisher mounted in the shop is a good thing, plus a set of safety gogles for when you 'grind' I know alot of this you probably already have.. but I'm just making a likst off the top of my head.

Perhaps a cup of spatterguard, and a good set of dykes or wire cutting pliers.. They are usefull for trimming long mig wire

Soundguy

hz293 said:
The title says it all. Mostly, where do you buy your wire and what do you pay. In the beginning I'll probably use .035 flux core because I don't have a gas bottle yet. Is there much difference for a novice like me to build projects using flux vs gas. Most of my welding will be done outside. I bought a Harbor Freight AD helmet, long gloves and a mig welder stand. I have vice grips, clamps and hammers. What else do I need to build some of the projects for my Kubota B7510 that I've seen in these threads. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Harris

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #4  
Lincoln has too many models. I have a WeldPak 3200, which I think is the same welding package as the 140T -- a 115 VAC, 140 amp flux-core/MIG.

Soundguy said about 99% of what needs to be said. You apparently have the mechanical locking clamps you need. A few magnetic clamps, and a few inexpensive wire wheels to fit your angle grinder might be helpful.

ROLL COST. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell 1 lb. rolls of .035 Lincoln flux core for about $9.00 a roll. For me, that is a lot of projets. I use about a roll every 3 or 4 months. Maybe it is just me, but, a fresh roll sure seems to be a lot hotter and cleaner than the old roll. The machine will hold larger wire spools, but I think they may lose a lot of life before fully used. Unless you are using several pounds of wire per month, I'd recommend buying
fresh 1 lb. rolls when needed.

I do a reasonable amount of small, rough welding around the farmstead. For most of what I need, the 115-Volt Lincoln flux-core does the majority of my jobs. If I need to get away from the shop, I have a 4500 watt generator that I load in the back of my truck, or in my FEL, along with the little Lincoln.

I again have a Lincoln 225 stick welder. I only use it when absolutely necessary. It is hard to keep sticks "fresh", and because of it's weight and power requirements, it only gets used within about five feet of the barn door.

I don't do MIG welding with my little welder. Most of my welding is outside. My repairs and small jobs just need good mechanical connections -- they don't have to be pretty. I only do flux core.

But, I have a good friend who goes to the other extreme. Gas brazing is his first choice. Gas welding is his second choise. MIG/shield-core is his third choice. He uses shielding gas with his flux core. All of his welds look like they were done with a caulking gun and spackling knife.

For most projects, nothing special is required. Just make sure that any life-threatening weld is real secure.

Good luck,
Knute

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #5  
What else you might need?
How about a saw. If you have a way to cut accurately you will get much more satisfaction out of your projects. I bought a cheap bandsaw from tractor supply and it's been the best investment since the welder. I can't cut a strait line with a sawsall or hacksaw for anything. I bought mine from TSC but I am pretty sure it's the same saw as the cheap harbor freight one.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Except I paid more and the Harbor Freight one is prettier.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #6  
gotta add those magnet angle clamps,look like arrows, are great.Welded for years with out them now I have about 3 sets close at all times.They come in different size and are priced resonable.It's like having an extra set of hands close by.For what your doing outside fluxcore is going to work,get some spatter gaurd for your nozzle and keep in clean.Have fun playing,I mean working with your new welder. RED

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #7  
Don't forget a fire extinguisher.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #8  
I just bought a second 4-1/2" angle grinder. Now I don't have to swap the wire wheel and grinding wheel. It seems I always need to clean up the old steel I have and the wire cup wheel is real handy for that as well as removing paint. The grinding wheel is handy for screw-ups, grinding things flush and beveling thicker stuff. HF has them under $20 all the time and occasionally under $10 (depending on model). Look at the parts diagram and find the ones that have real bearings rather than the bronze sleeve bearings. I think they should last longer. Mine came with extra brushes as well.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #9  
hz293 said:

Harris
with that machine i would stay with flux core, buying wire you get what you pay for buy the best from a welding store. it should be around $35.00 for a ten pound spool, when you run one out nail it to the wall and wrap your extesion cords on it. while your at the welding store buy a hole pack of tips. youll need something to cut the metal with, chop saw, razor wheels, torch depending on what your building to me the most versital is a milwaukee portaband. one good {tip} run a fast small pass on your project to heat things up then run a final pass to fill, and make sure your polarity is correct for flux core wire. enjoy its always great to look at something you built.

/ Bought new Lincoln mig 140T. Got questions. #10  
Fire extinguisher? I have half of one of the large plastic barrels full of water nearby. I can dip water out with old coffee can and put out little fires (dead grass under welding table, wood on trailer decks, etc). It also comes in handy for cooling off small pieces that you just welded together, just dunk them in barrel. This goes for pieces that you just cut with torch and need to cool before you can line up in position to weld. Also be sure all flammable liquids are stored away from welding and cutting area.