Torches for occasional use?

/ Torches for occasional use? #11  
I own a torch set for occasional use cutting and heating. I own a chop saw and sawzall for regular stuff but when trying to cut a shape out of plate I needed something more. I bought a Lincoln set at the home depot for pretty cheap. I want to say I only paid 125$ or so for the kit with hoses, regulators, striker, goggles, etc. Everything but the tanks and a rosebud.

I then bought the tanks at a local welding shop. The B and 80 as RobJ described. By purchasing the tanks there is no penalty for lack of use and no requirement that I refill the tanks at a particular shop. Tanks are expensive. Full of gas I paid about 300$ for them.

But hey, I mounted the set on a cart and they are very handy.

/ Torches for occasional use? #12  
Highbeam said:
I own a torch set for occasional use cutting and heating. I own a chop saw and sawzall for regular stuff but when trying to cut a shape out of plate I needed something more. I bought a Lincoln set at the home depot for pretty cheap. I want to say I only paid 125$ or so for the kit with hoses, regulators, striker, goggles, etc. Everything but the tanks and a rosebud.

I then bought the tanks at a local welding shop. The B and 80 as RobJ described. By purchasing the tanks there is no penalty for lack of use and no requirement that I refill the tanks at a particular shop. Tanks are expensive. Full of gas I paid about 300$ for them.

But hey, I mounted the set on a cart and they are very handy.

Forgot to add you can buy tanks on ebay. Then trade/fill at your local welding shop.

eBay - welding tanks, Manufacturing Metalworking, Industrial Supply, MRO items on eBay.com

/ Torches for occasional use?
HomeBrew2 said:
With your use, you have the option of using propane for fuel too. You'll need an adapter fitting and most recommend a propane cutting tip ... For my occasional use, I use a plain acetylene tip and it works fine. If money is tight, not buying an acetylene bottle might get you a bigger oxy tank.

Can you explain more about this option?

/ Torches for occasional use? #14  
I have the porta torches at home, and they work just fine for occasional use. They don't take up much room, which is important in my clogged garage. The little tanks don't have a lot of "run time", but I don't use them every day, or even every weekend. I think I fill mine maybe once or twice a year. I'm going to guess they have a couple of hours of weld/cut time? I'm sure someone can figure the exact number of minutes if you really are concerned. They are nice to take along for field repairs or to the BIL's.

/ Torches for occasional use? #15  
By purchasing the tanks there is no penalty for lack of use and no requirement that I refill the tanks at a particular shop. Tanks are expensive. Full of gas I paid about 300$ for them.

Highbeam, You may want to check. You can purchase the tanks around here. They are yours to keep but you are responsible for the cost of the hydro. test that is required on these tanks ( I think every 10 yrs) They say this test is expensive. I have a life time lease & they pay for the test.

Last edited:
   / Torches for occasional use? #16  
Last time I had to pay for a hydro test it was $20.
That was in 1988.
I found a place that would change out my tanks back then
but I had to sign papers swearing I owned the tanks.
Since then the place has moved and I haven't found it again.

I'd settle for just getting an oxy tank swapped out and buy a propane tank.
Just have to find someone to swap out with.

Pooh Bear

/ Torches for occasional use? #17  
Around here , don't matter if you own the tanks or not . If their name ain't on the tank . They ain't going to fill it.:(

/ Torches for occasional use? #18  
I own my own tanks and the place that I swap them with, has tried on more than one occasion to give me tanks that have their name in raised steel letters on the top neck. I never accept these tanks because those are the rental tanks. I tried to get them to fill my new tanks, but they will only exchange them. They also keep poor records of owned tanks that they have sold, so it is best to keep your own records. I have also exchanged tanks at another place and they don't check dates or anything else for that matter. They are about 10% higher per refill. I have found many acetylene tanks for sale at flea markets, but not many oxygen tanks, unless it is a complete set. If the tanks are full, and the price is right, I will buy the tank for the cost of the gas itself. I then trade the empty tank for full tanks at the gas supplier. If I wind up with excess tanks they will swap them for other types of tanks. Every area and every gas supplier operates differently. It is best to find one that you can work with. Some only want to deal with volume users, and others are willing to deal with the hobbyist user.
I have a few torch sets, but all are old, and I have no idea of who made them.
Dusty

/ Torches for occasional use? #19  
Pooh_Bear said:
Can they be shipped. I have an old set of tanks that are probably out of date and I have no papers for.
These are big tanks. Acetalyne tank is about 4 ft tall. Oxy tank is about 5 ft tall.
Wish I could find someone to swap them out with for full tanks.
I'd pay for the gas and the testing fees and maybe a little extra.
After I get them swapped out and get new tanks TSC will handle them then.

Pooh Bear
What you have is an AC-4 & Oxy-H Just call Airgas and they will swap them out for you as a customer owned. They will do it right at your house you don't even have to be there. Call them up and just pay them with a credit card and they will send a truck out. They check dates and retest all the time it isn't even an issue. Don't volunteer anything just tell them what you want. The AC-4 can be male or female and they will ask. If your not going to be there chain them outside were they can be seen. They need caps so if you don't have them be sure to tell them or the driver will just swap out the ones he delivers with. So this is what your going to say " I need an AC-4 (male or female) and a Oxy-H its a 200 size if they ask and your a customer owned" you will be good to go

/ Torches for occasional use? #20  
Does AirGas have a store in the Chattanooga area.
How about as far as Knoxville-Nashville-Atlanta.
I'd be more than happy to take them somewhere if I had to.
After I get good tanks that are within the test date then TSC will handle them.

Pooh Bear