Hard Lines on Log Splitter

/ Hard Lines on Log Splitter #1  

tnau664

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 231S
I'm just full of questions and can't seem to find the answers during searches.

I want to change all the hydraulic hoses on my log splitter to hard lines, probably steel gas lines. Has anyone seen this done? Will I have a drop in pressure by adding 90 degree elbows into line?

Thanks for looking
Terry
Piedmont, AL

/ Hard Lines on Log Splitter #2  
dont even think of doing that, for one thing, gas pipe, as in regular black iron and cast fittings are rated somewheres around 250 psi working pressure, not 2000 where most hydraulic systems run. second problem is that some of the hoses are there to allow a bit of flex where its needed, for vibration, cylinder movement etc. if you want to change some of them to hardlines then get steel hardlines custom made with flared ends, its not that expensive realy. or if ya dont want to go that route then you can use scedule 80 pipe and forged fittings, not cheap either and alot bulkier and harder to install than custom bent tubing hardlines. and understand that hardlines are not totaly a last forever fix, they crack from vibration and rust out where they are clamped. i am a mechanic for a garbage company so believe me i see my share of hydraulics and hydraulic lines and problems

/ Hard Lines on Log Splitter #4  
I would avoid that like the plague.

Hard lines are going to work-harden from constant vibration and then utimately crack.

/ Hard Lines on Log Splitter
Thanks guys. I just got to thinking about it one day while I was working. Seemed like I could avoid burst lines. I had never considered the vibration effect.

The collective knowledge of this site is truly amazing.
Terry

/ Hard Lines on Log Splitter #6  
hard lines are a good thing in some applications, like our walking floor trailers at work have all the plumbing done in hard lines, they dont see alot of use, just unloaded 2 or 3 times a day, but they see alot of sunlight and theres alot of plumbing in a tight area, so they are a pretty good and trouble free application for hardline, but they still do rust. same with the garbage trucks, they have a mixture or hardline and hose, we replace alot more hoses than hardlines, but still do have a fair bit of hardlines rusting out where they are clamped, cracking,rubbing thru and they get dinged and stuff too. hardlines are pretty good realy but i wouldnt go to the trouble of changing hoses to hardlines in most cases