Ideas for a big lawn roller

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #11  
My neighbor used a 500 gal tank to roll his private airport landing strip. I never witnessed it but in one direction it was downhill for easy take offs. It still sits next to his hanger some day I will take a pic and post.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #12  
I made one out of a plastic 55 gal drum. I just took a piece of 2 inch pipe and cut a hole in the bottom of the drum. I stuck the 2 inch pipe through the drum and set the drum with the open end up and the pipe sticking through it on a cement block with the pipe pushed down to the ground. I then filled it with concrete after it dried I made a frame that fit over the end of the pipe and put a piece of 1 inch steel rod through the frame and the pipe. I welded a hitch to this and my kubota 6100 pulls it around very well. It seems to have enough weight to compact and smooth out the ground well. If I can find the material I believe I have a better way to build my next one. There is a company that builds round cardboard forms for making concrete piers. What I want to do is to get a form that is 48 inches across and 60 inches long. Then take a trailer axle and center it in the form. Make a bottom for the form that centers the axle in the form. make a top that fits around the axle and centers it also. set the form with the bottom in place on blocks so that the end of the axle is resting on the ground with the form centered around the axle and along the length of the axle. Fill it with concrete then put the top on to center the axle in the form. When it dried you can take hubs and weld a fame to them that you can weld a trailerh itch or whatever hitch fits on your tractor. This would give you something that you could that you could easily get bearings for and would be very heavy for rolling. I would be more comfortable with this than I would be welding something on to the outside of a used propane tank. If anyone knows where you can get those forms would you please tell me.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #13  
rvtech said:
Anyone have any good ideas of something that will make a good heavy roller?

I made one out of a 3' dia x 6' long tank, filled it with concrete.

I estimate weight near 6000 lb, Pull it with a 4000 lb tractor. Works great. Still doesn't get land as smooth as I wish, but does make it much better.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #14  
Here are some pics. of one I made out of an old 52 gal water heater tank. I just drilled the bottom and put a shaft though it,made a frame out of 3/4" square tubing and connected them with pillow block bearings(the relief valve was centered on top so no drilling required). The tanks are galvanized,smooth and will hold 12 1/2 80 lb bags of sakrete,it should weigh in at just over 1100 lbs. My JD 4110 handles it easily even on my steep hill. You may be able to pick up an old tank from a local plumber for a little bit of nothing, they are pretty much useless once they spring a leak. Except if your going to fill them with concrete.

Last edited:
   / Ideas for a big lawn roller #15  
How about using the old style hot water heaters. At least I believe that they were hot water heaters or some type of pressure tank. I've seen them around on some of my foraging excursions. They are the same size as a new style hot water tank. They have thicker walls and are made from what looks like galvanized metal (Welding caution). Might be worth checking out some plumbers graveyard. I just wish I had picked one up when I had the chance. Good luck.

-Sambo

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #16  
lsenus said:
Propane supply compaies that supply residential tanks often times sell off thier old tanks. Weld on some hubs from the rear axle of a front wheel drive vehicle, and make a frame and you have a lawn roller.

I sure hope those used propane tanks have been thoroughly purged before anyone goes welding, drilling and cutting on those puppies. Otherwise, they sound like a great idea for a roller.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #17  
mjncad said:
I sure hope those used propane tanks have been thoroughly purged before anyone goes welding, drilling and cutting on those puppies.

great way to purge them is to fill them with water.

remember after the propane tank has been purged its still likey to SMELL like propane as the oderant (ethanethiol) becomes "empregnated" in the steal and takes years to fully relase.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #18  
I weld often on propane tank, the way i prepare them, (I live on 80 acres) is i will put them in the middle of my field, prepare to make a fire under and around them, then light the fire (dont forget to remove the valves first) and walk away,

NOTE: DO NOT PUT THE TANK IN A HOT FIRE!!! NO START THE FIRE AFTER THE TANK IS ON THE UNBURNED WOOD! THIS WAY THE TANK WILL WARM UP SLOWLY, I have never had one blow up, and i will let it be for the hole day, the fire will die out, the tank will be cold by the time i get back to it,

What ever left over gas in the tank has burned, and it cannot burn twice.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #19  
rinse tanks first ... drop in dry ice (C02) wait 20 mins then cut or weld....

works with old oil tanks also

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #20  
You can greatly reduce risk by filling with water and welding at the top. The water will displace the fuel/air mix in anything by occupying that volume.