Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

Default Re: Ideas for a big lawn roller

Propane boils at -47 deg's, or something close to that, and that's what creates the pressure in the tank. If the valve and fittings have been removed, there won't be any propane left. However, you never know what else may have been in the tank so rinsing with hot water or steaming it out is a good idea.

Tractor
    NH T-1520 HST, JD 5210 2WD, Terramite T5C, F-450/Terex T292, 48" MIE grapple

Diameter isn't the only way to get the weight 'up there'. A smaller diameter roller can have a weight rack on its frame, handle more easily when not in use and blocks etc are removed. (not a year-round gadget for all of us) Square the rack's back to roller diameter and stand it up like a jog cart when parking it. (secure hitch end from toppling onto grandkids)

To 'concrete' a large drum, center a round 'cage' of re-mesh inside. Add rocks or rip-rap inside that as you fill & save on mix. (May be better balanced by using the latter. YMMV)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original

I have a big plastic tank roller I bought at an auction on the cheap but an old friend gave me one that is 30" wide and about 14" across the end of the roller that was built from air conditioner galvanized duct pipe. They took two end caps, drilled holes in the centers for a piece of 3/4 inch pump pipe to stick through extending about 5 inches beyond the ends of the roller. Stood it up on one end with 1 cap installed, stood the pipe up in the center but had it blocked up off the ground the proper height, started filling the duct pipe with concrete and took a rubber hammer to beat on the sides to move the rocks away from the outside somewhat, just like when forming with wood, filled it full and installed the other end cap. He says it's 30 yrs old and is still holding up well. If the sheet metal rusts away the concrete will still work without the outer skin.

Duct pipe it somewhat cheap, easy to work with and is basically to hold the concrete in place til it dries but after 30 yrs mine is still in good shape with the duct pipe still attached. After it dries, build up a towing frame...cheap n easy build.
    modify, adjust and improvise....a country boy can survive

Tractor
    05' JD 790 - 53' Ford NAA - 70' Massey Fergusen 135 diesel - 67' John Deere 3020 deisel - 77' John Deere 2130 - 1950 John Deere MC - Michigan 75a Payloader

We have an old carding roll from a woolen mill, 7' long and 3' in diameter 1 1/4" thick steel, weighs 4000 lbs empty, never had to fill it with anything. It will work the snot out of my 50hp tractor 2wd. I pull it with my crawler on soft ground and it will leave the area smooth as glass.
    check us out at www.tessiersfarm.com

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac, Steiner

Using a large heavy roller to smooth out a lawn isnt a real good solution. The roller does it smoothing by compacting the high spots in the lawn. Compaction leads to poor water infiltration into the soil and increases runoff on slopes. If I wanted to use a roller to smooth out a lawn, I would use a spiker type drum areator. The spiker areator will at least cut slits into the soil as it compacts it. The areator would also probably do a better job of leveling out the soil as well since it will break up the soil somewhat as it is towed over the area

Tractor
    kioti DS4510HST

Quote Originally Posted by muddstopper View Post
    Using a large heavy roller to smooth out a lawn isnt a real good solution...
    That is a topic for a whole 'nother discussion. I've heard that point of view and wondered about it. I bought a PTO-driven rototiller and tilled up a large area for a volleyball court on our church's property. We raked and dragged smooth, planted grass seed and waited for rain (2+ yrs ago). The report came back to me later that the area was rough to mow over. ouch!

I'd like to figure out the best way to smooth out the yard (and keep it smooth).

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by davel8257 View Post
    That is a topic for a whole 'nother discussion. I've heard that point of view and wondered about it. I bought a PTO-driven rototiller and tilled up a large area for a volleyball court on our church's property. We raked and dragged smooth, planted grass seed and waited for rain (2+ yrs ago). The report came back to me later that the area was rough to mow over. ouch!

I'd like to figure out the best way to smooth out the yard (and keep it smooth).
    I use a landplane grader scraper to smooth out lawn areas, gets it flat without leaving it overly compacted. Then run a smaller 18" towable plastic roller filled with water to improve seed contact. Best if the ground is slightly damp too. Here's some pics showing the ground after rolling and some where the grass is up later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for a big lawn roller-taylor-seedbed-1-31-2911-a   Ideas for a big lawn roller-taylor-seedbed-1-31-2911-a   Ideas for a big lawn roller-taylor-seedbed-1-31-2911-a   Ideas for a big lawn roller-taylor-lawn-002-jpg   Ideas for a big lawn roller-house-002-jpg  

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Case 580 Super M Series 2, Cat D3B

I saw this the other day....500gal tank (give or take), so full of water, it would be pretty heavy....4,000lbs+.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

Rollers are reasonably easy to make - pipes, cylinders, tyres all can be used - below is a few we use around the farms:
    - c.40" smooth steel pipe roller filled with concrete & capped
    - c. 12' ribbed steel drum roller water ballasted @ c.9T/empty c.4T
    - c. 6' tyre roller, tyre are low pressure filled with water, rims welded to centre tube & end capped welded to old plough discs/bearing carriers (& fitted with seed box)

For levelling lawns we built the small carry drag scraper pictured (works much like a small landplane) to take out high spots/fill hollows pulled by c 18hp kubota/Iseki or in lighter applications a JD415 - The 120" long drawbar assists maintaining levels (& makes for easier reversing), the single hyd ram acting on the rear wheels pivots the assembly for cutting,controls dumping, spreading of material & lifts the assembly for easy unhindered transport/ there's also a old screw adjust 3pl toplink which pivots the RH wheel so the unit can easily be tilted (ideally I'd have fitted another hyd ram but my JD415 doesn't have another remote nor did I have a suitable valve laying around).
    With then follow up with the tyre roller which suitable "flex's/bags" with the water filled tyres so no ridges are left by the implement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideas for a big lawn roller-tbna1-jpg   Ideas for a big lawn roller-tbna2-jpg   Ideas for a big lawn roller-tbna3-jpg   Ideas for a big lawn roller-tbna4-jpg  

Tractor
    new holland tn70

this one we made several years ago when 75% full of water it's all my jd can pull around.Ideas for a big lawn roller-dsc00470-jpgIdeas for a big lawn roller-dsc00471-jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast