Ideas for a big lawn roller

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #1  

rvtech

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 John Deere 2305
I want to vastly improve my 5 acres of lawn for faster tractor speed when mowing. I asked a friend that used to work at a golf course how they smoothed out the fairways. He said they made some very large/heavy rollers and towed them around for 2 weeks every spring. He used 200 gallon fuel tanks, welded bearing carriers on the ends and then made a hitch, installed a bung in the end and filled with water.

Anyone have any good ideas of something that will make a good heavy roller?

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #2  
How about just a 55 gallon drum - Rod down the middle/fill with water. Or fill with concrete/rocks if you want something more permanent. Another option might be some kind of heavy drainage pipe also filled with concrete.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #3  
I thing 3 lawn tractor water rollers would be easier on your lawn. Just make an extension rod for the 2 outside rollers. Baking up would be impossible though. you could link them in a strait line though

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #5  
55 gallon drums usually have a ridge in the center, or two equally spaced, so that would put more ruts in your yard.
A large piece of PVC pipe if your in the plumbing field, used propane tank if your not.
David from jax

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #6  
I like the propane tank method, a 330gal is maybe 6 feet wide the round edges dont dig into the ground when turning.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller
I like the propane idea too. I'm going to call my supplier to see when I'm due for a new tank.

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #9  
I like it!! I think I'm going to do the same. It would be really neat to make one like above with a 3ph so that when it's empty it could be lifted and moved. But that would probably be too difficult and not necessary. Be careful when welding used propane tanks though!!

/ Ideas for a big lawn roller #10  
The one that was made from a large propane tank is impressive, but I wonder how he would be able to control it if the ground isn't level. I know that it would push a small tractor around quite easily. Reminds me of the tail wagging the dog.:D
Dusty