Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 John Deere 2305

Default Ideas for a big lawn roller

I want to vastly improve my 5 acres of lawn for faster tractor speed when mowing. I asked a friend that used to work at a golf course how they smoothed out the fairways. He said they made some very large/heavy rollers and towed them around for 2 weeks every spring. He used 200 gallon fuel tanks, welded bearing carriers on the ends and then made a hitch, installed a bung in the end and filled with water.

Anyone have any good ideas of something that will make a good heavy roller?
    2006 JD2305, 200CX, Woods BH6000, R4's, 62"MMM, Markham Toothbar, TG48 KK Tiller, 48" Rock Rake, www.wilsonrv.com

Tractor
    Kubota B7500

Default Re: Ideas for a big lawn roller

How about just a 55 gallon drum - Rod down the middle/fill with water. Or fill with concrete/rocks if you want something more permanent. Another option might be some kind of heavy drainage pipe also filled with concrete.
    Mike

B7500, Loader: LA302, Backhoe: B4675, 3ph splitter, 3ph dump hauler, 5' Bush Hog, 5' rear blade, Chipper, 1 Wife, 3 Daughters and 2 Dogs (oh yeah...cat too but who counts them)

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

I thing 3 lawn tractor water rollers would be easier on your lawn. Just make an extension rod for the 2 outside rollers. Baking up would be impossible though. you could link them in a strait line though
    Kubota B7800, Sundown Loader Forks, Landpride PHD, Sundown 66" Box Blade, 800 pound Ballast Drum with chain storage, ATI Grapple, 60" WR Long Diverter, Landpride Brush mower, 7' Landpride Rake,Manlift platform, Bucket mounted 6' Snow Plow, 3 point Cherry Picker, Subsoiler

Tractor
    B7500

Propane supply compaies that supply residential tanks often times sell off thier old tanks. Weld on some hubs from the rear axle of a front wheel drive vehicle, and make a frame and you have a lawn roller. There's one I saw on a lawn tractor site:

Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractor Club, Inc. - Looks like I'm not the only roller nut...

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

55 gallon drums usually have a ridge in the center, or two equally spaced, so that would put more ruts in your yard.
    A large piece of PVC pipe if your in the plumbing field, used propane tank if your not.
    David from jax

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    jd 970, JD GT235

I like the propane tank method, a 330gal is maybe 6 feet wide the round edges dont dig into the ground when turning.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2006 John Deere 2305

I like the propane idea too. I'm going to call my supplier to see when I'm due for a new tank.
    2006 JD2305, 200CX, Woods BH6000, R4's, 62"MMM, Markham Toothbar, TG48 KK Tiller, 48" Rock Rake, www.wilsonrv.com

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Lawn roller made from 500 gallon propane tank | Freaky Acres

Check out this members pics of the roller he built at the site above. I did a search for rear roller and found it.

Tractor
    Kubota M7040HD

I like it!! I think I'm going to do the same. It would be really neat to make one like above with a 3ph so that when it's empty it could be lifted and moved. But that would probably be too difficult and not necessary. Be careful when welding used propane tanks though!!
    Chuck

Tractor
    bx1800

The one that was made from a large propane tank is impressive, but I wonder how he would be able to control it if the ground isn't level. I know that it would push a small tractor around quite easily. Reminds me of the tail wagging the dog.
    Dusty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast