Bucket Mount Hay Spear

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear #1  

Mahana79

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
needing a way to to move round bales for the horses i bult a hay spear for the 3 pt a while back.

TON OHV, Jeeps, and 4WD Galleries :: Rear Spear

Well within the next month or so i will be needing a way to unload hay from a gooseneck so i started making a slip-n-pin on front bale spear. i have seen a few for sale that you slip on and bolt to the bottom of the bucket. i didnt like that idea because then i would have a hole int he bucket i saw some other that used chains and binder to attach it to the bucket. didnt really car for them wither just didnt look right. then there were replacemnt one where you pull the 4 main pins for the bucket, remove the bucket and attach the spear. talk about a pain. so I took a different approach and had the bottom slip over the edge fo the bucket like the other but the top will pin into place with 2-7/8' pins at the top of the bucket. i made some tabs for the top of the bucket for it all to attach to. i can now make other attachment to go onto the tabs. i have been eyeing some root rakes. any ways here are some pics of my progress. it got cut short tonight. i ran out of Oxygen. Hopefully Praxair is open tommorow and i can swap out my bottle and get a role of wire and get it finished up.

Here are the pics

Picture_001.sized.jpg

Picture_002.sized.jpg

Picture_003.sized.jpg

Picture_005.sized.jpg

Picture_007.sized.jpg

Picture_008.sized.jpg

Picture_009.sized.jpg

Picture_010.sized.jpg

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear #2  
mental note, do not get into a jousting match with mahana.....

I was unware that our little class II CUT's were able to lift a full size round bale with the front FEL?

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear
it wont do the big 5x6 but most of the ones i get are the smaller 4x5's and weight in at a max of 1100#s. I have the pressures turned up a tad and it does pretty well with that size. i have one on the rear for the bigger ones.

I put one on the back when im loading and unloading the trailer for alittle more counter weight.

When i bought the tractor i hadnt planned on using it that much for hay but the drought we are in I have been forced to ship hay in and this just makes it easier to unload.

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear #4  
I just use a spear in a socket under the top lip of my buckets. Slide it in and run a pin through it, much like a receiver hitch. Come to think of it, a receiver hitch welded to the top lip would work very nicely. Just adapt it to slide the spear into it. The angle is good because you can tilt the bucket and the round bale way up to bring the bale's center of gravity way back.
gabby

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear
gabby said:
The angle is good because you can tilt the bucket and the round bale way up to bring the bale's center of gravity way back.
gabby

that is what i am hoping for. the two top mounts will be double shear with 7/8" pins. should be able to handle a good amount of force probably way mroe that the hydraulics will push. i am stating to wish i had gotten a bigger tractor. one that would atleast handle 1800#'s on the loader Oh well.

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear #6  
I like the idea, especially the ability to use the top attach points for other things.....but

Do you suppose repeated use could eventually bend the bucket's bottom edge? I've been told that can happen with the bolt-on bucket spears.

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear
honestly i am more worried about stressing the top of the bucket where the tabs are. the 4" square tubing for the bottom should spread the weight out over the lip but i think the most downard force will be on the tabs. the ones i have hard of bending the leading edge's of the buckets were the strictly slip on type. they have no support additional support beside the leading edge of the bucket.

this one lookes like it would stress the leading edge
2efb_1.JPG

f3c4_1.JPG

we will see i guess

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear
I got some more done tonight. I will try and take some pics tommorrow or maybe later after the kids go to bed. i got the upper supports on and welded up. still need to double shear the top, put in some diaganol supports, cap the end and put some stabilizer spikes on. oh yeah and the good ole coat of gloss black rattle can :D

/ Bucket Mount Hay Spear #10  
You should ad another small spike or 2 to keep the bale from turning. If you do not drive it in on center you could have problems with controlling it and then weight distibution issues. This could cause the weight to suddenly stress one side of your loader or worst the weight of an offset bale spinning could send you spinning.