Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ??

/ Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ?? #1  

shaley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford '92 2120
Hi Gang,
I need some insight into all the good things people want when they buy or build or use a grapple Tine bucket. I plan on using it to move lumber, timber, place concrete pipe, dig roots and brush and demolish a small barn so it has a number of requirements that it must perform well. This is for a 40HP NH 2120 with a Woods loader 2.5" lift cylinders.

Here is a list of my specs so far.
Weight approx 600lb
Width = 5ft
Single cylinder 2.5" x 6" grapple.
Lift and move 30" Dia x 8ft logs.

I have begun a lay out drawing in order to get basic sizes and weights, strokes of cylinders req. etc. I can send the digital templates to a CNC patern burner n order to have the parts cut. I have some 4x4 tube for the rear brace and 3x3 for the grapple brace.
Please give me your comments on what you look for in a tine grapple or how you use the grapple you already have. If anyone would like a copy of the plans you are welcome when they are complete. I'll list all the part numbers for the purchased parts.
So far the hydraulics looks like a force of 2400lbs at a 8" opening and 3000lbs at 12" grip. This is based on a 2.5" cyclinder #9-6609 Surplus Center $49. I'm not sure if this is as much clamping force as I'd like. I can raise the pad eye height for more but then it increases the likelyhood of damage in use. (tall padeyes tend to get bent).

Attachments

• T100.001.001.JPG
    T100.001.001.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • T100.001.001A.JPG
    T100.001.001A.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 1,141
  • T100.000.000.JPG
    T100.000.000.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 1,089
Last edited:
   / Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ??
Just wanted to add a picture of a tine bucket that my dealer wants $2700 for. It is a 6 ft and about 6" deeper than what I want, which I think will affect lifting capacity of my machine, but it gives an overall picture of the fab. I'll put the image inline so its easy to see.

65248d1164827053-brush-tine-grapple-bucket-help-grapple-tooth4a.jpg

Attachments

• grapple tooth4a.jpg
    grapple tooth4a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,614
   / Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ?? #3  
I've been noodling on ta similar project. I want mine to be useable on the "rock bucket" or a set of forks. Drew my arms slightly different than yours to eliminate some of the gusseting. Opinion?

Attachments

• grapple arm1.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 993
Tl, Your grapple looks good and I like the teeth cut into face. I'd have to see how it closes on the bucket to determine how effective they are. I'm set up for a 2.5" cylinder which will put out 12,000 lbs. so I'm using 1" hinge pins.
Do you think a single cylinder 36" wide grapple arm will work almost as well as two 18" arms. I'd sure like to keep it simple. Although, the extra cylinder is only $49 at Surplus Center.

/ Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ?? #5  
Virnig has a rock bucket similar to that that I was thinking about getting.
You might look theirs over for some ideas too.

Thanks Red, I like the way the Vernig is open in the rear so you can see through.

/ Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ?? #7  
shaley,
Nice dwg. Did you draw that with autocad? I have been toying with the idea to build one myself. Dehner Welding has one for $500 free shipping. I dont think I can make it for less.

DT, I looked at Dehner's and it looks a little light for my 3000# loader. I don't like the sharp corner in the heel of the frame. I gues syou are talking about just the grapple part for $500 because the bucket and grapple looks like $1250 or $1500 for the double grapple. I do the layout AutoCad and the stress analysis in another.

/ Brush and Tine Grapple Bucket Help ?? #9  
yeah, I would suppose that would be a bit light for yours. I have been drawing one up for my JD 1070 w/ 440 loader. My current bucket is a bit smaller than the Dehner one. Yes I was taking just the grapple. I attached my work in progress. Autocad 2000. Never used a stress analysis program. Your drawing made me open it up again at work, so looks like I'll be going in tomorrow

Attachments

• grapple.JPG
    grapple.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 811
I think I'm going to go with an open back with a bent plate for stiffness and an open back for vision. Here is the bucket weighing in about 320lb. Just for a idea of scale the top tube is 4x4.

65351d1165021158-brush-tine-grapple-bucket-help-3db.jpg

Attachments

• 3db.JPG
    3db.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2,291