more ideas on a brake switch retrofit for an old tractor

/ more ideas on a brake switch retrofit for an old tractor #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I've bene toying with the idea to add an electric break controller to my ford 5000 so I can utilize my trailer brakes. Cheap controllers in my area 1re 20$ for the super el-cheapo models.. and then 50-70 for some basic and 'ok' models.

All use the standard 4 wire setup.. power, ground, brake reference, and brake controler power line.

The power, ground and brake controler lines are easy. The brake reference was sticking me as my tractor had no brake switch, and mounting say.. a pin switch or feeler switch at the end of the brake throw is dicey due to pedal movement as the brakes wear.. then the thought occured to me... How about wire up a NC switch and have it setuop to be 'activated' when the brakes are at rest.. that way.. as soon as I step on the brakes, the switch goes from 'open' to 'closed' , thus triggering the brake line, I can have power to the brak controller off of the ignition via relay.. that way it won't set there and drain power.

How about it.. will this work?

Soundguy

/ more ideas on a brake switch retrofit for an old tractor #2  
Sounds good, but with trailer brakes hooked to tractor brake pedals seems like it would take some getting used to. I don't use the foot brakes on my tractor that much, when I let off of throttle or gas pedal, it slows just fine. Your use may vary. I think a switch like a cruise button on steering wheel would be better, you could use engine throttle to slow down, then if needed more braking, press button to activate trailer brakes. I'm sure you'll figure it out though, keep us posted.

/ more ideas on a brake switch retrofit for an old tractor
The brake controlers alread have a manual 'panic' slide switch on them to emgage the brakes variably from 0-full base don how you set the intensity. I could use it like that without the brake wireing at all.. I simply wanted it to be 'automatic'.

I normally don't use the tractor brakes that much either.. throttling that big diesel down stops it fast... The only reason i was toying with it is i use the tractor to do hay rides.. and wonder if it might not be safer to have the ebrakes as an emergency backup in case tractor brakes failed? According to tractor specs.. the brakes on it are good enough to handle the towed load i will be hauling.. trailer and hay and passangers will weigh about 4k#.. perhaps a bit less...

Soundguy