sometimes you just meet nice people

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
I'm converting a Howse middle buster into a tree puller. The howse has 3/4X6 " plate for the MB connected to the 3pt frame by 2-3/4" bolts. I keep my torches in the country so I can't always work on my stuff as "the country" is 140 miles away from here. I bought a 36" piece of 3/4X8" plate to replace the mb arm. I figured I could have 2 tool using the same frame by simply moving 2 bolts. On the 36" piece I wanted to cut 1 15" piece for the arm and use the remaining 21 inches to make a skid with a long V cut into it so I can back up to small trees, wedge them into the V and pull them out with the 3pth.

Anyway, I buy the steel here in houston and haul it to the country to cut. I get out my AO set and adjust the OA at 30/10 #s, (3-1) as I was taught to do. It won't cut anything and LOTs of slag. I move the O to 40#. still a horrible cut. A to 12#, still bad cuts, too much slag. Adjust O everywhere from 30-60#, cuts still suck. My valves are open all the way, full tanks of both O&A. What the heck is wrong. I try again the next day, no luck. Must be the torch. I bring the steel and torch back to Houston wanting to find someone to cut the steel and someone to fix the torch.

I go into a what looks to be a small fabrication shop only about 6 blocks from my house. I've never been there before. As I pull inside the high fence I discover it is much larger than I realized, a coupla acres and 30+ employees, but almost all outdoors so no big buildings per say. I find someone who speaks english and ask him if they are willing to do this job, thinking it is too small for them to mess with. The guy, (Tony) says no problem. I want him to troubleshoot what I had done so far. He tells me I didn't have enough O pressure. I say full tank, valves open all the way, I think it's the torch. He say's let him try the torch. He hooks my torch up to his tanks and it cuts no problem at all. I'm upset because I can't understand why my torch wouldn't work for me. He cuts the design out, 30" of total cut. I say to him you cut so nice and I need to put these 2 holes in this 3/4" plate, should "we" cut them instead of drill them? He responds no problem again. He marks the holes and takes it over to a machine that punches the holes out. In 20 seconds. I'm shocked.

He also gives me a 3X3/4X12" piece of steel so when I figure out what is wrong with my torch I can have a heavy cutting guide.

When it is all said and done I asked what I owed. He says "I'm going to save you some money". His fee? 0. He tells me I owe him nothing. Nada. Not only that, he tells me to bring my guages in and he will check them out for me. I can't take this. I try to give him a 20 and he refuses, 2X, completely. I have to shove it in his pocket to get him to take it.

Moral: You never know who your going to meet anywhere, anytime. I tend to be a sindic(sp), but I was jarred into reality today.

Thanks Tony!

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #2  
Nice story. He took a little bit of time to help you out and he's now got a customer for life who will send business his way in the future. Very smart!!!

Eddie

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #3  
I run into people like that once in a while. Eddie is so right, when someone helps me out like that they have a customer for life and I tell everyone that I know about the great service and how nice the people are.
Thanks for sharing your story.
David

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #4  
About 25 years ago when I was building my house I needed a tank of heating oil. I called a few people and they needed payment upon delivery. I called John, he said no problem, he would bill me. Today I'm buying my oil from his son.

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #5  
My diesel deliveries are made and eventually within a month or 6-7 weeks I get a bill. They will not let me pay by check or cash on delivery, only when I get a bill in the mail.

Earlier today I ordered a set of 48 batteries (zinc air cells) at a decent price but seconds later saw where I could buy the same brand and get 60 cells for the same price and same shipping charge and sent in an email to where I had ordered, giving them the link to their competitor's site. I get an email back right away with a price reduction to match the other site. I didn't threaten or cajole or whine or try to cancel just showed them their competition and they did the right thing. That is the kind of ethics we should reward.

I recently had the quick tatch on my FEL and two of the implements trued up at a machine shop. ON the away home one of the pins fell out. I didn't know for sure if it could be at the machine shop or on the highway so I called and asked. Immediately the owner says bring in the remaining pin and he would make me one free. I did and they did and I know who will get my next job. They kept a drawing and timed the work so they could make a price for future pins if anyone wanted one. Price came in at $1 over ordering and waiting for Kubota ($16.50). Last pin I got from Kubota took 3 weeks afer the first two sent were the wrong size (mislabled in the package.)

Pat

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #6  
Just remember to pay it forward if you can. I always try to help whoever asks, if I'm able, whether with physical labor, or welding, advice, etc. You never know, some day when you need something, the favors can be returned. And, along the same lines, always find something good to say to a kid, you never know, they may grow up to be ___ (fill in blank, president, your son/daughter in law, boss, etc.).

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #7  
there is a local hydraulic guy that treated me the same way. went way beyond the norm. He will get my business, my company's business and if I hear of anyone needing hyd work I will recomend them. Its nice to deal with people like this it restores feelings of how things used to be. I can remember riding with my granddad and him getting things for low or no price and then sticking some cash in their pocket, or bringing them a six pack.

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #8  
Nice story. Happen to me while ago - in lunch brake I hurried to get some shopping done - and run out of gas. Now, in US, if you hitchhike with a gas can in hand, you will not wait long. This lady stops and takes me to Leesburg and says she will go back in 15 minutes and she will take me back.

Well, I am standing by the gas station with a full can in my hand waiting and this guy pulls over and says: my girlfriend gave you a lift and she is busy, I am gonna drive you back to your truck.

/ sometimes you just meet nice people #9  
I met some of the nicest people while traveling in Austria last month to the point where a complete stranger went 16 miles out of his way at 10 o'clock at night, in a snow storm, to make sure I reached my Hotel safely.

The road on my map was closed because the bridge is being rebuilt and he said I had almost no chance to navigate the detour at night and in the snow... and he would NOT accept anything from me in return!

By the way, I paid $6 a gallon for diesel in Germany. Saw lots of tractors, mostly Hew Holland and Deere... very few Kubotas. The hardest part of adjusting to life back in California is the speed limits on the freeways. I quickly got used to setting the cruise control a 100 mph to keep pace with traffic in Germany.

/ sometimes you just meet nice people
Thanks for the reponses!!!

Call me Earl, but I do believe what goes aroung comes around. I'm avoiding that word though. I always try to help. Maybe this was my payback.

Last year when the hurricane didn't hit here but we got lots of wind and downed trees they canceled school for 4 days and I found myself with free time. I grabbed the chainsaw and headded for the farm. As I rounded the corner from my house, about 150 yards, I saw a elderly man with a carpenters hand saw trying to cut some 8" dia limbs that had been dropped in his mothers yard. I pulled over and took out my saw, cut up an hours worth of limbs and helped them stack them on the curb. The mother tried to give me 60.00, but I would not take it. Although they lived soo close I had never met them, and too be honest, haven't seen them outside their house since.

On down the street another man cutting limbs. This time they at least had a wet wood saw and less limbs. I only spent about 30 minutes there. I slowed my trip to the farm by about 3 hours, but I went happy.

Later, MP