custom built bumper

/ custom built bumper #1  

jandefirewood

I was interested in building my own bumper for my truck. i have been interested in this for a while. I have all the tools to do it but just havn't started yet. Does anyone have any ideas or Pictures of their bumpers?

Thanks a lot
Evan

/ custom built bumper #2  
That should be easy, look at yours and make one, if you use pipe? you can put air fittings and have it hold air for flats, water toys etc.
Depends what you have for steel.
I have seen some nice ones made from 6" channel
Jim:)

/ custom built bumper #3  
Look at some oil and gas field trucks. I would use 4" schedule 40 pipe with weldable angles on the ends and weldable end caps. Maybe some nice 1/4" steel plate to top it off. I'll see if I can get a picture of the oil and gas field trucks.

Solo

/ custom built bumper #4  
jandefirewood said:
I was interested in building my own bumper for my truck. i have been interested in this for a while. I have all the tools to do it but just havn't started yet. Does anyone have any ideas or Pictures of their bumpers?

Thanks a lot
Evan

Jeepers do that a lot, typically from square tubing but anything is possible. Check for bumpers on qudratec.com and 4wd.com - that gonna give you lots of ideas.

Things to consider for built in - 2" hitch receiver, tow points, fog lights...

/ custom built bumper #5  
I traded a chrome Ramsey winch to a neighbor in exchange for a replumb on my house. He supplied everything, and I had to build a bumper. I THOUGHT I was going to get off easy because a friend owned a junkyard. No dice/no chome, he wanted one built that would hold the truck up if he ran over something.
I used 2x6 with .250 wall and across the front added a piece of 1/2 x 6" flatbar (to cover a mistake a friend made helping me). Turned out nice, and I added receivers to each side near the frame rails with eyelet style tractor trailer hitches in them. They doubled as block and tackle mounts when really stuck.
Pictures? Maybe if I can get him out of the mudholes long enough.
David from jax