High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #1  

burnetma

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5420 MFWD 541 FEL JD X758
I am looking for a 540 RPM PTO pump capable of producing 60-65 hydraulic HP. Something like 3000 psig and 40 gpm. Anybody know of such an animal??

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #2  
I know very little about hyd. systems, but I do know that to drive that pump will take more HP to turn the PTO than you can make with a pump hooked up to it. If you only have a 25 HP tractor I'm fairly sure you can't make more than 18 or so HP on the pump. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Surpluscenter.com would be a good bet to find almost any hyd. parts you need. Mike

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #3  
Valleyfarm is correct you will need almost 100hp to have that much hydraulic hp and that will leave you very little left to run the rest of the tractor.

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump
Let me tell you guys what I am up to here. I was trying to see if I could run a Fecon Mulcher using my tractor for clearing my fence lines and some over-grown fields. The tractor comes with 16 gpm at the remotes, but that is not enough. I need at least 50 hydraulic HP to run the machine. 65 would be ideal. I can get a 63 HP gear pump, but it must turn at 2400 RPM, so I will have to add a shaft and gears. I just thought that if there was a 540 RPM PTO pump capable of this output, I would be in good shape.

As for the tractor's capability. I understand that hydraulic pumps are ~80% efficient My JD5420 is stock rated at 65 PTO HP. Add a turbo and turn-up the fuel, I can probably get it to 80 HP at the PTO (essentially make my 5420 into a 5520). That should get me in the ballpark. Forward and reverse locomotion will be at ~0.5 MPH or less. With these mulchers, the peak pressure and flow are not required at all times. So I will not be on the ragged edge all of the time. I am just trying to see if it is feasible.

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #5  
I have seen farm tractors used by the highway dept that have a boom on the right side of the tractor and the large hydraulic tank and counterweights on the left side (all midmount). They have big hoses going to a pump in the back on the pto(unsure if it is direct drive or goes thru a gearbox). They use it to run rotary mowers or a flail mower on the end of the boom. I don't know the brand names of those units(yellow in color). Maybe with this info you could search the web or call DOT highway maintenance. They are used here in the state of Washington. I've seen them on JD tractors, but I don't know if they were the 6000 series or the 5000 series tractors as I drove by. Hope this helps.

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #7  
believe if you do get it set up you will be very unhappy with the setup have been putting attachments on excavators and skid steers for years and 99% of the time when we would try to run something on a machine that is way underpowered like that the customer would be upset with the performance. mulching heads, saws and milling heads are all power hogs. Unless they have proper flow and pressure they don't run right and will stall very easy and you will be running against the relief valve a lot and creating a lot of heat then you loose even more performance.

/ High Flow/High Pressure PTO Pump #8  
At 540 rpm the Prince PTO pump would produce a maximum of 36 hydraulic HP. That corresponds to about 22 gpm and 2250 psi.

All the Prince units have too little pressure and flow for this application.

I will look into the boom mower power packs. I am sure that they are geared pumps, which is not the end of the world, but I will suffer even more HP loss in the gearing.