How can I lift a baseball field drag mat???

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #1  

punxybill

New here so if I am in the wrong area let me know. Anyway I am looking to be able to lift a 6'x6' drag mat that is used on a ball field. I want to use the 3pt.hitch to lift it (from the seat). The mat has angle iron across the front but nothing down the sides or across the back. The mat is steel and can be rolled from back to front but not from side to side. Kind of like a roller chain that is 6' wide and 6' long. I was thinking about a boom pole to aid in lifting the back with short chain attached to the front. Weight around 200lb. Any thoughts? Thanks .

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #2  
Bill,
You hit the nail on the head. Use a boom pole and connect the conners to the boom. Another TBN memeber did this with a drag harrow (a lot like what you are describing). Attached the front of the drag to your hitch point. Then attach the back to the boom using some pieces of chain.

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #3  
first result under google image search for drag harrow

implements-drag-harrow2.jpg

nuf said

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat???
Thanks guys, I think I will bring the mat home and tinker around with it during the winter. Any other ideas please share. Thanks

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #5  
Just a thought...you could drop the lift arms of your 3PH to the ground, then roll up the mat onto the lift arms. Run a chain/rope/cable/bungee from each of the arms to the top link to secure it. Back on the tractor, raise the 3PH and away you go.

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #6  
punxybill said:
Thanks guys, I think I will bring the mat home and tinker around with it during the winter. Any other ideas please share. Thanks
I'd like to know how to do it with the FEL or BH rather than the 3 point.
Who has that figured out?

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #7  
See the pic above started me thinking about building one for my drag harrow. Maybe a 3ph carry all would work as well?

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat???
srjones said:
Just a thought...you could drop the lift arms of your 3PH to the ground, then roll up the mat onto the lift arms. Run a chain/rope/cable/bungee from each of the arms to the top link to secure it. Back on the tractor, raise the 3PH and away you go.

That would work but at times the mat collects dirt and weight increases plus at times we have operators with limited strength and mobility. We also want to be able to shake the dirt collected on mat off while moving. In a pinch it would work, thanks.

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #9  
punxybill said:
New here so if I am in the wrong area let me know. Anyway I am looking to be able to lift a 6'x6' drag mat that is used on a ball field. I want to use the 3pt.hitch to lift it (from the seat). The mat has angle iron across the front but nothing down the sides or across the back. The mat is steel and can be rolled from back to front but not from side to side. Kind of like a roller chain that is 6' wide and 6' long. I was thinking about a boom pole to aid in lifting the back with short chain attached to the front. Weight around 200lb. Any thoughts? Thanks .

Build a box frame for it.. attach it to the frame with about 8" links of chain.. including across the center. Use a boom pole to lift the box frame...

Soundguy

/ How can I lift a baseball field drag mat??? #10  
jdgreg said:
See the pic above started me thinking about building one for my drag harrow. Maybe a 3ph carry all would work as well?
I don't want to use the 3ph.
I'm looking for ideas on how to do it using the FEL and or the BH.