No chains in Colorado so......

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #11  
Lynkage,
Your chains look just like the ones I put on my tractor last Friday. Mine cost me around $240 for the set, that included shipping. I purchased them from a place that was mentioned on one of the TBN threads. I cut the excess chain off with a hack saw and was surprised at how easy they cut. I thought that the chains would have been made from a hardened material, maybe that is not necessary on tractors that do not travel at high speeds on pavement.
You did a great job, thanks for sharing.
David B

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #12  
Farwell said:
Lynkage,
Your chains look just like the ones I put on my tractor last Friday. Mine cost me around $240 for the set, that included shipping. I purchased them from a place that was mentioned on one of the TBN threads. I cut the excess chain off with a hack saw and was surprised at how easy they cut. I thought that the chains would have been made from a hardened material, maybe that is not necessary on tractors that do not travel at high speeds on pavement.
David B

only the crosslinks are hard on tire chains, they are what take the wear. i have put regular chain in place of a crosslink a couple times and you wouldnt believe how fast they wear out even just on a tractor, i have a feeling that in the long run this guys homemade tire chains will be shortlived but if its all ya can get then thats how it is.

/ No chains in Colorado so......
Farwell said:
Lynkage,
David B

I made my chains from High Test grade 43 chain zinc coated. Chains I found online that are comparable are going for about $500 plus shipping of 170lb ($70-100). So far I have about $250 into the project. It took 2 evenings to make them about 5 hrs each night.

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #14  
Lynkage said:
I made my chains from High Test grade 43 chain zinc coated. Chains I found online that are comparable are going for about $500 plus shipping of 170lb ($70-100). So far I have about $250 into the project. It took 2 evenings to make them about 5 hrs each night.
I wondered why my chains were so cheap. I have not checked the hardness of the cross links. I will check them with a file.
On the chains I bought there is an area of about 24 inches where there is no cross links, never having been around tractor chains, is this normal or did I get short changed. I think I will use your method and add some cross links in the empty space just for the experience.

/ No chains in Colorado so......
That is a good idea!
To make it easy just put your chains on and then put a piece of chain over the tire then you will know how long to make it.:)