Ground speed

/ Ground speed #1  

GT2

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-35
Hi all, noob here.;)
I'm researching building my own compact tractor.
What is an exceptable ground speed in MPH for low gear and high?

/ Ground speed #2  
What will this tractor be doing? If it is just mowing yards, I would go with a higher speed gearing, if plowing, dozing, etc, may need to gear toward lower speed. Need more info. Where are you located?

/ Ground speed
BTDT said:
What will this tractor be doing? If it is just mowing yards, I would go with a higher speed gearing, if plowing, dozing, etc, may need to gear toward lower speed. Need more info. Where are you located?
Mostly light digging, pulling on some stumps, moving rocks.

/ Ground speed #4  
Sounds interesting. Where are all the parts for this tractor coming from, did you inherit a junkyard?

/ Ground speed #5  
Welcome to Tractorbynet, Tim. I don't know what materials you plan to use to build a tractor, but you can go to some of the manufacturers' websites and look at the specs on different models. They do vary a bit, but just as an example: I used to have a Kubota B7100 that had a top speed of about 9 mph, then a B2710 that had a top speed of almost 12 mph (11.9 I believe, to be exact). They both had hydrostatic transmissions so it was infinite speed up to those limits. For a geared tractor, I'd say you want one mph or less for things such as running a tiller; maybe a little more would be OK for some other jobs.

/ Ground speed
Bird said:
Welcome to Tractorbynet, Tim. I don't know what materials you plan to use to build a tractor, but you can go to some of the manufacturers' websites and look at the specs on different models. They do vary a bit, but just as an example: I used to have a Kubota B7100 that had a top speed of about 9 mph, then a B2710 that had a top speed of almost 12 mph (11.9 I believe, to be exact). They both had hydrostatic transmissions so it was infinite speed up to those limits. For a geared tractor, I'd say you want one mph or less for things such as running a tiller; maybe a little more would be OK for some other jobs.
Thanks.
What I'm looking at right now is using a VW rabbit 4 cyl diesel with front wheel drive 5 speed trans axle. Turn it sideways, lock the diff., run drive shafts to front and rear shortened axles.
With 34" rear and 24" front tires its looking like about 1.3 MPH @ 1000 RPM in 1st gear and about 7 MPH in 5th gear, higher with more RPM.

What do you think about using an automatic trans? (weighs more)
Tim

/ Ground speed #7  
What do you think about using an automatic trans? (weighs more)

I have no idea, Tim. You're way out of my area of knowledge.:D

/ Ground speed #8  
GT2,
I think you'll smoke the tranny......

/ Ground speed
So I looked around and the only manufacture to list low speed is NH (that I could find). Theirs is 1.75 MPH.
Does this sound about right?

/ Ground speed #10  
You'll find that some tractors have their regular lowest speed that high, but offer an optional "creeper" gear. 1.75 mph would be just fine for a lot of tractor work, but I think it would be a little fast for a tiller.