welder question

/ welder question #1  

ddonnell

Silver Member
I'm looking for a new welder and wonder if the 175 to 180 mig units are really the best machines for fabbing stuff out of 1/4" plate and above. I like the ease of a mig welder over stick but it seems that, unless you get into the 200+ amp range (more $ than I can justify), the limit for the smaller machines is around 1/4" without getting into multiple passes and/or using flux-cored wire. Would an AC/DC stick be a better choice? I'd like to have one welder that would work well for most of these heavier projects. My understanding is that flux core wire welding ends up being just about like using an arc-stick unit.

Last edited:
   / welder question #2  
I'm in the same boat. I have an AC/DC arc welder that I have had for 27 years. It works just fine, but I'm tired of slag. And, with the Power Trac, I find myself welding 1/4" plate and thicker. I would like to get a MIG, but one that will do that thick of stuff will cost $$. For the hobbies I do, the arc will be O.K., but if I ever come across a great deal on a big MIG, I will be tempted. ;)

There are some excellent welding and welder discussions going on in other forums on TBN and they have some links to some dedicated welding forums. Do a search here at TBN and have fun reading. :)

/ welder question #3  
I started this thread a month ago. Read all the replies. after visiting a couple stores, i will probably end up buying a 170/180 size MIG welder with the gas valve option. The total package I want is well over $1400 with accessories, gas and tax. What I will end up settling for will still be $800+ with the helmet, some 8" rolls, etc.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...at-kind-welder-should-i.html?highlight=welder

Both types have their +/- I did notice a common agreement that MIG welding outside in the wind is a problem. That doesn't bother me. All my welding will be inside a garage area.

/ welder question #4  
You don't make one pass,,,,you got to learn the principals of welding,,you can weld 8 inch steel with .035 wire and 120-130,amps,,,many just don't know what they need to know,and these people selling these machines help with the misinformation.,,,in other words,,you make as many individual welds as you need,to get the material welded,,you just need so much amps to melt a size wire or rod,,you don't go into welding something the way you are looking at it,,,,interesting,,,but yes,if you got to have one machine,an ac/dc stick machine is it,,about 180 to 200 amp,[or more],,,but same applies to stick,,,thingy

/ welder question #5  
gordon21 said:
I started this thread a month ago. Read all the replies. after visiting a couple stores, i will probably end up buying a 170/180 size MIG welder with the gas valve option. The total package I want is well over $1400 with accessories, gas and tax. What I will end up settling for will still be $800+ with the helmet, some 8" rolls, etc.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...at-kind-welder-should-i.html?highlight=welder

I supposed that you can post anywhere you want, but this is the Power-Trac forum. Did you mean to post this question here. I noticed that you have JD equipment

/ welder question #6  
Don't you guys who own them power tracs wanta learn how to weld too? thingy

/ welder question #7  
Yes, we do want to learn to weld. Maybe we should move this over to the related topics or build it yourself forum? I can do that. All in favor reply aye! ;)

/ welder question #10  
thingy said:
Don't you guys who own them power tracs wanta learn how to weld too? thingy

The point here is to get the most effective use from the right forum.