DIY Home built compact tractor

/ DIY Home built compact tractor
john_bud said:
Clearance? Get taller tires!

What size tires are you going to get and what gear ratio in the diffs?

jb
I'm trying to keep my low speed as low as possable using the VW trans., so taller tires are not an option.
I'm using 30" rear and 23" front loader tires.
I have a 5.38 rear and a 3.72 front diff. The trans ratio in low is about 14.30

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #52  
GT2 said:
I can lower the engine as is, the alt will clear.
I guess I'm going to lower it. I was trying to keep as much oil pan clearance as possible, but I guess that is what skid plates are for.:)

Don't confuse off roading with tractoring. Oil pans rarely come into contact with anything when your on a tractor. It's always possible, but extremly rare to damage it, or puncture it.

But there's always an exception, and my Dad proved me wrong with my dozer. It's about as well protected as it can be. Much, much better then any wheeled tractor!!! He was pushing over some small pines and commited the cardinal sin. Never get on top of the debri!! He did, and then to make it worse, he changed directions and spun around on it.

A small pine that was about an inch think worked it's way through the belly plates and right through the oil pan. He also tore off two hydraulic lines and busted of the oil preasure sending unit. Dad is 70 years old and he tries, but this time he really screwed up. Oh well. LOL

My point is that anything is vulnerable, but in general, your oil pan is pretty safe on a farm tractor.

Eddie

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #53  
My brother used to bust his oil pan frequently on his 1983 Mercedes 300 D, even if he did nothing unusual with it. On the 3 Volvo 440's i had, i lost all cover plastics that were mounted under the car within 3 weeks, by driving through the wheeltracks of a small farm road with a grass ridge in the middle, where no wheels come.

I gave all my cars the chance of an honourable death, (to "die in the harness") but i havent manage to bust one single oil pan on any of these in the woods. Some cars are more prone to busting oil pans than others, mostly because of the oil pan sticking out below the chassis parts. You dont need much metal to protect an oil pan, and they easier dent than bust anyways.
On your vehicle you've got a heavy axle to shave off any trees before they can hit the oil pan, so dont worry

If you have the chance i'd definately drop the center of gravity, you're going to get pretty high on 30" tires, plus you have narrowed the axles making it less stabile. even with double reduction, the thing is going to get quite speedy because of the big wheels i suppose.

I'm looking forward for more pics ;)

EddieWalker said:
Don't confuse off roading with tractoring. Oil pans rarely come into contact with anything when your on a tractor. It's always possible, but extremly rare to damage it, or puncture it.

But there's always an exception, and my Dad proved me wrong with my dozer. It's about as well protected as it can be. Much, much better then any wheeled tractor!!! He was pushing over some small pines and commited the cardinal sin. Never get on top of the debri!! He did, and then to make it worse, he changed directions and spun around on it.

A small pine that was about an inch think worked it's way through the belly plates and right through the oil pan. He also tore off two hydraulic lines and busted of the oil preasure sending unit. Dad is 70 years old and he tries, but this time he really screwed up. Oh well. LOL

My point is that anything is vulnerable, but in general, your oil pan is pretty safe on a farm tractor.

Eddie
Good point Eddy, I guess I had it in my mind that I would be clamboring over large rocks at some time. Thats not really the idea with a tractor? Clear/make a path.
Most of my experiance has been with skid steers. With thier flat bottoms you can slide over most anything.

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #55  
GT2 said:
Hi all, I've been held up a bit waiting for parts and such, but I got a little more done.
Here the tie rod is shortened. Cant shorten the drag link till I get the steering box mounted.
trac26.jpg

Here I've made the front axle pivot plate templates.
trac27.jpg

Heres the steel plates. I cant weld them to the axle till I get my pin and bushing material so I can drill the correct size holes.
trac28.jpg

Is the C-shaped steel to be bolted to the frame, and to the diff, with the pivot near the plastic grip on the spring clamp? In that case the diff will swing side to side as one side goes up and down. I wonder what that does to the tire steering clearance on the low side? I'm sure you've got that all worked out but I wonder if it'll act squirrely. My tractor has the pivot gear centered on the front diff. (had to run out to check).
Maybe I am misinterpreting your mock-up. I love this project, keep sending photos!
Jim

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #56  
Kind of have some questions about the front end myself. Anything to support it from twisting front to back? Anything to keep it level? Without springs you may find it tilts to whichever side is heavier.

I hyjacked your photo and added some things you might consider. Go to the junk yard and find a 70's to 80's Ford P/U and get the Radius arms and frame mounts and install them to add resistance to the axle twisting. You could also pick up a old coil spring, chop it in half and install on either side of the C mount you made to add some leveling support.

trac28.jpg

Added: Here's a link to a web page that shows what the radius arm is. Doesn't need to be as high speed as the ones pictured, a old set of factory ford ones would work fine. Ford Bronco Radius Arm Page

By the way, keep the pic's coming. This is a really neat looking project you have going there.

jimmysisson said:
Is the C-shaped steel to be bolted to the frame, and to the diff, with the pivot near the plastic grip on the spring clamp? In that case the diff will swing side to side as one side goes up and down. I wonder what that does to the tire steering clearance on the low side? I'm sure you've got that all worked out but I wonder if it'll act squirrely. My tractor has the pivot gear centered on the front diff. (had to run out to check).
Maybe I am misinterpreting your mock-up. I love this project, keep sending photos!
Jim
The "C" shaped steel plates are welded to the axle assy only. The pivot will be just below the spring clamp, as low on the cross member as I can get it.Yes the whole axle will move slightly from side to side as it pivots. This will cause some bump steer, but I'm going to limit the amount the axle will pivot to a few inches. So I think the bump steer wont be a major problem.

DieselPower said:
Kind of have some questions about the front end myself. Anything to support it from twisting front to back? Anything to keep it level? Without springs you may find it tilts to whichever side is heavier.

I hyjacked your photo and added some things you might consider. Go to the junk yard and find a 70's to 80's Ford P/U and get the Radius arms and frame mounts and install them to add resistance to the axle twisting. You could also pick up a old coil spring, chop it in half and install on either side of the C mount you made to add some leveling support.

trac28.jpg

Added: Here's a link to a web page that shows what the radius arm is. Doesn't need to be as high speed as the ones pictured, a old set of factory ford ones would work fine. Ford Bronco Radius Arm Page

By the way, keep the pic's coming. This is a really neat looking project you have going there.
My understanding was that if the rear axle is solid mounted, then the front springs are not needed:confused:
I was hoping that my heavy steel axle pivot plates (one on the front and one on the rear of the axle) would be strong enough to resist axle twist.
However your radius rod arms idea makes sense. Maybe I can add them later if it needs it.
Thanks for the ideas!:)
Tim

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #60  
Renze said:
If you have the chance i'd definately drop the center of gravity, you're going to get pretty high on 30" tires, plus you have narrowed the axles making it less stabile. even with double reduction, the thing is going to get quite speedy because of the big wheels i suppose.

30" mens outer diameter of the wheel, not rim only. Am I right?