Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford '92 2120

Default 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch

Hey Gang,
    I wanted to build an electrical control switch for a 3rd function hydraulic valve for use with my FEL grapple. I needed to mount it on my loader joystick but did not want a rocker switch type. I also wanted the ability to stack two or three at a time. This is what I came up with.
    The unit is made out of 1x1 steel tubing with a pie slice cut out of it and folded together and then welded.

Next, I added a split shaft collar in order to mount it to the loader stick. The ends are standard plastic capplugs for sq tubing with ribs. They are amazingly snug and secure.

The push button switches are IP67 rated for dust proof and waterproof. I placed heat shrink tubing over the solder lugs after soldering the wires so even if the end caps leak a little moisture the inside is waterproof anyway.

The metal housing is bead blasted, zinc plated inside and out, and then chromated for corrosion resistance in a tractor type environment.

Belden PVC cable runs from the switch box to a relay pack for power switching and interlocking. The connections are soldered and covered in heat shrink with outside covering being marine grade adhesive lined.

The relays provide the switching logic in order to allow only one valve spool to be active at one time regardless of whether both buttons are pushed.

Here is the unit installed on the tractor.

So tell me what you think. What kind of improvements you would suggest or other uses. Do you think it will hold up on a tractor?
    Steve...

"My biggest fear is that when I'm gone my wife will sell all my tractor gear for what I said I paid for it. "

Tractor
    John Deere 3720 CAB, 455AWS

Default Re: 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch

Excellent!
    That should hold up real well, and sure is cheaper than the $170.00 handle I just bought from JD for my joystick!
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt-On Grab HooksTM, Bolt-On Clevis MountsTM, Weld-On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Well done..
    Very nice work !!
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    DK50c

Unbelievably NICE !! great pics. Very well done. How is it working so far? One more thing you have got way to much free time on hand .Anyways I like it. frenchie4x4.

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

Nice job. Does it seem awkward to use with the buttons down from the knob like that. Looks like if it had been placed where the knob is would be more comfortable to use (like a T handle shifter). If I remember correctly, Case 580D backhoe/loaders had a clutch disconnect button on the loader raise/lower lever so you could speed up engine while working bucket without having to try to keep tractor from running over whatever was in front of you.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford '92 2120

Thanks for the complements guys. I still need to hook up the hydraulic lines so I have only tested it electrically. The valve spools do energize.
    BT I tried several positions but I have long fingers and like the buttons low. The split collar lets me twist or move it up or down anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve...

"My biggest fear is that when I'm gone my wife will sell all my tractor gear for what I said I paid for it. "

Tractor
    A couple

Nice work! I like seeing projects that look as good as they function.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Very very first class job. That looks store bought man!
    Nice "out of the box" thinking on your part. Your photos came out great too.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford '92 2120

Thanks for the complements. Thought I'd set one up to go on the BH wobble stick next. My friend up the road wanted one so I built several.
    Steve...

Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Bobcat X325

Is that a left handed joystick mounted on the right side?