3rd Function FEL remote loader switch

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #1  

shaley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford '92 2120
Hey Gang,
I wanted to build an electrical control switch for a 3rd function hydraulic valve for use with my FEL grapple. I needed to mount it on my loader joystick but did not want a rocker switch type. I also wanted the ability to stack two or three at a time. This is what I came up with.
The unit is made out of 1x1 steel tubing with a pie slice cut out of it and folded together and then welded.
3359housing1.JPG

Next, I added a ½” split shaft collar in order to mount it to the loader stick. The ends are standard plastic capplugs for sq tubing with ribs. They are amazingly snug and secure.

3359housing2.JPG

The push button switches are IP67 rated for dust proof and waterproof. I placed heat shrink tubing over the solder lugs after soldering the wires so even if the end caps leak a little moisture the inside is waterproof anyway.

3359assembly1.JPG

The metal housing is bead blasted, zinc plated inside and out, and then chromated for corrosion resistance in a tractor type environment.

3359assembly2.jpg

Belden PVC cable runs from the switch box to a relay pack for power switching and interlocking. The connections are soldered and covered in heat shrink with outside covering being marine grade adhesive lined.

3359assembly3.JPG

The relays provide the switching logic in order to allow only one valve spool to be active at one time regardless of whether both buttons are pushed.

Here is the unit installed on the tractor.
3359assembly4.jpg

3359assembly5.JPG

So tell me what you think. What kind of improvements you would suggest or other uses. Do you think it will hold up on a tractor?

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #2  
Excellent!
That should hold up real well, and sure is cheaper than the $170.00 handle I just bought from JD for my joystick!

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #3  
Well done..
Very nice work !!

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #4  
Unbelievably NICE !! great pics. Very well done. How is it working so far? One more thing you have got way to much free time on hand .Anyways I like it. frenchie4x4.

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #5  
Nice job. Does it seem awkward to use with the buttons down from the knob like that. Looks like if it had been placed where the knob is would be more comfortable to use (like a T handle shifter). If I remember correctly, Case 580D backhoe/loaders had a clutch disconnect button on the loader raise/lower lever so you could speed up engine while working bucket without having to try to keep tractor from running over whatever was in front of you.

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch
Thanks for the complements guys. I still need to hook up the hydraulic lines so I have only tested it electrically. The valve spools do energize.
BT I tried several positions but I have long fingers and like the buttons low. The split collar lets me twist or move it up or down anyway.

Attachments

• handon.jpg
    handon.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 529
   / 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #8  
Very very first class job. That looks store bought man!
Nice "out of the box" thinking on your part. Your photos came out great too.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch
Thanks for the complements. Thought I'd set one up to go on the BH wobble stick next. My friend up the road wanted one so I built several.

/ 3rd Function FEL remote loader switch #10  
Is that a left handed joystick mounted on the right side? ;)