Name that drill bit

/ Name that drill bit #1  

tnau664

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 231S
Ok, I need help from you machinists out there. Several years ago I purchased a package of drill bits that have almost a pilot bit type point. What I mean is the first 1/4 inch or so was smaller that the rest of the bit. These are/were awesome bits and drilled through anything. Problem is, I'm running out of them. You know, borrowed, broken, lost, and have no clue what to ask for to buy more. I would assume it's some type machinist bit due to the pilot configuration. I sure hope someone can help. I'd love to have an entire set of them.

Thanks for reading
Terry:confused:

/ Name that drill bit #3  
I think you are looking for brad point bits. I use them for woodworking but never tried them on anything else.

/ Name that drill bit
That was fast KennyD, but they don't look like that. There is not the drastic difference from the point to the bit.

I'm still scratching my head.

/ Name that drill bit #5  
I think what you are describing is similar to the brad point drill.Black & Decker
makes a drill like this and I think they call it the Bullet Drill.The purpose of the point is to keep the drill from drifting off center just like the brad point.

/ Name that drill bit
ToadHill said:
I think you are looking for brad point bits. I use them for woodworking but never tried them on anything else.

Thanks, but I've got plenty of brad points in the wood shop. The bits I'm trying to describe are definitely for metal.

Terry

/ Name that drill bit
bamatoolmaker said:
I think what you are describing is similar to the brad point drill.Black & Decker
makes a drill like this and I think they call it the Bullet Drill.The purpose of the point is to keep the drill from drifting off center just like the brad point.

Thanks Bamatoolmaker

I ran over and looked at a picture but they are all on the card and hard to tell if it's the same. Looks like a trip to Lowe's may be needed.

What part of Alabama are you from? I'm in Piedmont.

Thanks
Terry

/ Name that drill bit #8  
I have a set of Black & Decker pilot point drill bits. I think they call them Bullet drill bits now, but I've had mine for a lot of years.

/ Name that drill bit #9  
tnau664 said:
Thanks Bamatoolmaker

I ran over and looked at a picture but they are all on the card and hard to tell if it's the same. Looks like a trip to Lowe's may be needed.

What part of Alabama are you from? I'm in Piedmont.

Thanks
Terry

The local hardware store here in Ashville sells them individually and Lowes and Home Depot sell a set that ranges 1/8" up 1/2"

/ Name that drill bit #10  
tnau664 said:
Ok, I need help from you machinists out there. Several years ago I purchased a package of drill bits that have almost a pilot bit type point. What I mean is the first 1/4 inch or so was smaller that the rest of the bit. These are/were awesome bits and drilled through anything. Problem is, I'm running out of them. You know, borrowed, broken, lost, and have no clue what to ask for to buy more. I would assume it's some type machinist bit due to the pilot configuration. I sure hope someone can help. I'd love to have an entire set of them.

Thanks for reading
Terry:confused:
Terry,
The drill you described, if it has a 1/4" tip, may be called a step drill. If the set you had was in fact a step drill set, they are quite expensive.
Go to Production Tool Supply on line and check out step drills or maybe Google step drills to see if they are what you are looking for.
David B