Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater?

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #1  

AltavistaLawn

Silver Member
These are the heaters that sit outside your home, up to 100 feet away, burn wood which heats water up to around 200 degrees. The water is then plumbed underground to inside your house to a core which is sandwiched between your original heater and squirrel fan. A separate thermostat controls the heater draft, pump, and fan blower, the original heat becomes your backup.

A buddy of mine built one out of a 275 gal oil tank, he hasn't quite finished it yet; its not plumbed in. But it burns good and heats the water to 160 to 190 deg.

Thanks,
-Billy, out.

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #2  
try a search on weld talk forum or shop floor forum

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #3  
Go to this site; http://www.arboristsite.com/

a few guys here have built their own, and quite a few more have bought and installed it themselves, search under firewood and heating with wood forum.

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #4  
These boilers tend to smoke a lot because the firebox is cold.

Be sure to put one far from your house, and be kind to your neighbors also.

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #5  
Living in southern Minnesota, I started one with the intention of burning dryed shelled corn in it. I stopped construction before finishing the burner assembly itself. I decided to instead build one that burns cob corn. Cob corn can be simply dried in a crib for a month or two and will then burn well. The cob itself also adds a valuable source of heat. Cob corn is so much cheaper than shelled corn it is rediculous. The cost of drying shelled corn is too high now with high LP gas prices. I figure I could raise about 5 acres of scrubby corn, harvest it on the cob with simple equipment, dry it for 6 weeks in a crib for free, and have a winter's supply of heating fuel. To do this I must overcome one remaining challenge: handling of the cob corn. It is very convenient to auger the shelled corn, metering it into the stove burner automatically bit by bit. But cobs are a challenge to handle. They don't auger unless your auger is about 16 inch diameter. So I am back to the concept phase of the project. I am attaching a photo or two of the original design burner, for shelled corn burning. The parts are jigged together but not welded in these photos. They never did get welded, still laying around the shop in a pile.

Attachments

• PB270274 (Medium).JPG
    PB270274 (Medium).JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 741
  • PB270271 (Medium).JPG
    PB270271 (Medium).JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 600
   / Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater?
Thanks guys.
:)

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #7  
I use an outdoor furnace (Hardy). I got it cheap and being all S.S., I expect to get some life out of it. It has a forced draft and with good wood does not create too much smoke. I live in a rural enviroment.

I have done some reading about the smoke issue and it seems to center around the inability to get the inside of the firebox hot enough. This is due to the fire being cooled by contact with the water 'cooled' walls.

An interesting development that I read about which is being experimented with now is lining the firebox with firebrick or some hi-tech material. This can allow the fire to reach a more efficent temperature.

Surely there are good things about an external wood stove. However, if you are building or buying one of these, do your homework on heating system hook up costs, excavating costs, and wood costs (if you have to buy wood). Also, don't underestimate how much of your time is going to be tied to the feeding of the stove.

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #8  
jimgerken said:
Living in southern Minnesota, I started one with the intention of burning dryed shelled corn in it. I stopped construction before finishing the burner assembly itself. I decided to instead build one that burns cob corn. Cob corn can be simply dried in a crib for a month or two and will then burn well. The cob itself also adds a valuable source of heat. Cob corn is so much cheaper than shelled corn it is rediculous. The cost of drying shelled corn is too high now with high LP gas prices. I figure I could raise about 5 acres of scrubby corn, harvest it on the cob with simple equipment, dry it for 6 weeks in a crib for free, and have a winter's supply of heating fuel. To do this I must overcome one remaining challenge: handling of the cob corn. It is very convenient to auger the shelled corn, metering it into the stove burner automatically bit by bit. But cobs are a challenge to handle. They don't auger unless your auger is about 16 inch diameter. So I am back to the concept phase of the project. I am attaching a photo or two of the original design burner, for shelled corn burning. The parts are jigged together but not welded in these photos. They never did get welded, still laying around the shop in a pile.

Why not just coarse grind the cob with the corn on it after you dry it?Problem solved!

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #9  
Grinding the cob. That's worth considering. Dry it on the whole cob, then first thing when removing if from the the drying crib run it thru a grinder and into an auger, then on to the stove. Interesting. Will be thinking it through. Thanks!

/ Anyone biuld an Outside Water Boiler Wood Heater? #10  
Run it through a shredder/chipper.