pull behind vibratory lawn roller

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #1  

mikeyd

Gold Member
Tractor
5030 tractor, ZD28 mower
Has anyone made or seen plans for a tow behind vibratory lawn roller. If the vibratory part could be pto driven so much the better. Otherwise a small motor would do. I have a 5030 kabota tractor and about 10 acres to roll. I have used a neighbors homemade roller, its large and heavy and does an ok job, but if it was vibratory it would work much better on the heavy clay on my property.

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #2  
you might be able to rig up a screed vibrator to an existing roller... dont know how effective it would be....

B0000224W7.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #3  
Do you not want the grass to grow?

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #4  
Why do you want to compact the heavy clay? You should be using a pasture aerator or plugger to maintain heathly turf. It allows air, moisture and nutrients to penetrate the clay.

KB

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller
KrumpsBrother said:
Why do you want to compact the heavy clay? You should be using a pasture aerator or plugger to maintain heathly turf. It allows air, moisture and nutrients to penetrate the clay.

KB
It's not about having a heathy turf..the grass grows like a weed. The problem is the bumps and rolls. I have a zd28 that will cut grass at 10mph plus so I want to even out the bumps etc. so i can keep my teeth.

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #6  
Just thinking...

What would happen if you mounted a 3-5 HP horizontal engine on the roller harness, and then mounted a flyweel or pulley that was purposly unbalanced?

In theory it would work, but in practice I'm not sure how well.

-srj

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller
srjones said:
Just thinking...

What would happen if you mounted a 3-5 HP horizontal engine on the roller harness, and then mounted a flyweel or pulley that was purposly unbalanced?

In theory it would work, but in practice I'm not sure how well.

-srj

Mount the pulley or flywheel to what?

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #8  
mikeyd said:
Mount the pulley or flywheel to what?

the crank.... you know so the main's in the B&S would last about 5 min.... :cool:

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #9  
schmism said:
the crank.... you know so the main's in the B&S would last about 5 min.... :cool:
Use a belt drive to connect the off ballance flywheel. You should be able to find bearings heavy enough for the task of spinning the flywheel.
If you could drive the belt from the PTO that would be even simpler. No engine to maintain.

/ pull behind vibratory lawn roller #10  
schmism said:

Exactly, in practice not very practical.