Heavy, large lawn roller

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #1  

VTHartford

I need a large lawn roller to keep my pastures flat for high speed mowing. I was thinking of a 24" Sonotube, 7 ft long, shaft through the middle, pour it solid full of concrete. From my calcs, it will weight a little over 3400 lbs. The equivalent water filled roller would weigh about 1400 lbs. Is this too heavy or any onther reasons it would not work.

Thanks,
Bill

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #2  
As long as the ground isn't too soggy to hold it up from sinking, that should do an excelent job for 1/4 the money as a "profesional" made one. Mike

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #3  
VTHartford

I made a small version of your idea and it works pretty well. I did leave the Sonotube on and it is looking a bit used after 2 years. Mine used 12 inch Sonotube and is 5 ft long. The only thing I would do differently is to beef up the frame. I used 1/8in 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 channel iron because I had it. Whoever is driving must be very careful not to bend the frame when turning.

Ed

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #4  
   / Heavy, large lawn roller #5  
VTHartford said:
I need a large lawn roller to keep my pastures flat for high speed mowing. I was thinking of a 24" Sonotube, 7 ft long, shaft through the middle, pour it solid full of concrete. From my calcs, it will weight a little over 3400 lbs. The equivalent water filled roller would weigh about 1400 lbs. Is this too heavy or any onther reasons it would not work.

Thanks,
Bill

Mornin Bill,
Somewhere on TBN a fella built a large roller out of a 500 gal propane tank and filled it with water. If you could get one cheap that my be a good way to go also !

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #6  
My neighbor has one built out of a propane tank, 500 gallon. The problem with the tank is it only has 3.5 to 4 feet of flat area. The ends are rounded and it does not cover the tracks of most tractors.

Chris

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #7  
Scott is right. Another member used a large propane tank about 8' long and mounted bearings on each end and added a fill / drain hole for filling it with water then made arms to attach it to the drawbar. That way the weight is adjustable depending on how much water is put in. I tried searching for it but couldn't locate it. Perhaps whoever made it will read your post and reply with the link to his pics.

George

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #8  
One problem with going that wide (7') is turning it without bending the framework, as it does not ROLL evenly. It would work much better if there were 2 or 3 parts to it, so that the parts could roll independently of each other. even making it in two sections would work pretty well for turning that way the inside corner one could roll slower than the outside one. just use a section of heavy plastic between the two parts to keep them apart.

I like the idea of the PVC culvert as it would last much longer unless you plan on hitting a lot of rocks.

mark M

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #9  
I did the propane tank route. Got a nice small diameter tank so its longer and not so big around. works great the round ends is the big advantage. I'll take a pic if someone can tell my how to upload a large pixel pic?

/ Heavy, large lawn roller #10  
We had one made from a liner from a 80 gallon hot water heater filled with concrete. A little small, but good behind an ATV.