Logging Winch

/ Logging Winch #11  
That is plenty of winch. I just got off of a JD 540 D log skidder an hour or so ago. We have a Ford 5610 4x4 tractor with a grapple loader on the front, and a hydraulic grapple on the rear. I have had that tractor stuck down to the foot boards and a winch like yours pulled it out single line. A winch that size will pull most any tree that one man can tote the chain saw it takes to cut it down. Put something between you and that cable. Suppose you have a snatch block and are pulling hard, and the chain or strap that is holding the snatch block gives out, the snatch block is coming your direction. Had one take my hat off once, but that was only as close as it got. Also helps to lay something on the cable as you are pulling, drape a chain, floor mats, anything so that if something breaks, it will go toward the ground, instead of remaining airborne. I would much rather get hit in the feet than in the head.

/ Logging Winch #12  
That is plenty of winch. I just got off of a JD 540 D log skidder an hour or so ago. We have a Ford 5610 4x4 tractor with a grapple loader on the front, and a hydraulic grapple on the rear. I have had that tractor stuck down to the foot boards and a winch like yours pulled it out single line. A winch that size will pull most any tree that one man can tote the chain saw it takes to cut it down. Put something between you and that cable. Suppose you have a snatch block and are pulling hard, and the chain or strap that is holding the snatch block gives out, the snatch block is coming your direction. Had one take my hat off once, but that was only as close as it got. Also helps to lay something on the cable as you are pulling, drape a chain, floor mats, anything so that if something breaks, it will go toward the ground, instead of remaining airborne. I would much rather get hit in the feet than in the head.

Absoulutely never stand in the bight of a line!!! It is the killing zone. The bight is the area of a cable that is pulled to one side in the middle. If it lets go and you are there expect some very nasty injuries or death.

Speaking of log skidders, I have a model 9 gearmatic off a skidder that I put a three point on. It works great on the back of my 5300 JD.