Logging Winch

/ Logging Winch #1  

wkpoor

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 5400, Farmall H, Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers CA
Well I think I've solved the hydraulic winch pressure/flow issue. Prince makes a double acting poppet relief for motor control circuits. This should allow for pressure relief to whichever hose is exhausting to return.
Question for those who have...... will and 10,000lb winch be adequate for most logging needs? The Mile Marker is the most cost effective and comes with the cable and a fair lead allready installed.

/ Logging Winch #2  
Check out MileMarker Winch Done thread.

I am the one that built the platform for it and for my tractor and logging needs it is just right. A little slow compared to a Farmi type logging winch, but it gives me a few more seconds to catch my breath while I am winching in the log(s).

I have no problems with the hydraulic pressure off my tractor for the winch either.

I also know that Deerlope likes his winch too.

Mainiac

/ Logging Winch
So you would say its capable of moving most good sized logs? I've never owned a winch other than that on a boat trailer and didn't want to tool up for all this only to find out these truck winches are a toy.

/ Logging Winch #4  
I have a 12000lb winch on my truck, and its electric, hydraulic winches are ALWAYS stronger. You'll be just fine...

/ Logging Winch #5  
wkpoor said:
Well I think I've solved the hydraulic winch pressure/flow issue. Prince makes a double acting poppet relief for motor control circuits. This should allow for pressure relief to whichever hose is exhausting to return.
Question for those who have...... will and 10,000lb winch be adequate for most logging needs? The Mile Marker is the most cost effective and comes with the cable and a fair lead allready installed.

If you use a snatch block pully you can double the pull amount unless the 10,000lbs rating is with a snatch block.

That said I was pulling out some decent sized russian olives by the roots with my 8000lb Warn 8274 with no problems. Pulling already cut trees should be no problem what so ever. That 8000LB which has pulled my jeep at some pretty steep angles through some pretty thick stuff.

/ Logging Winch #6  
I've now got three 8000lb electrics (a long story)all on 2'' receiver mounts, but one is configured with a remote dissengage to go on the back of my JD4300. I don't get into many logs over16" at the butt but a lot are over 40' long and my property is all hills and rock. I find 8000lb is lots for dragging logs out to the trail where I can short chain and lift them to skid them to a landing. I often have to park the tractor with one rear wheel in front of a tree to hold the tractor as the anchor blade don't work so hot on rocks...I also find that a short piece(10') piece of nylon rope or strap that stretches, between the cable and chain sling will allow me to apply tension to a log that is caught on a rock or stump while I go back and give it a nudge with a bar to clear it. Its not as fast as a real skidder but a lot cheaper as I'm only doing my firewood (and a bit of poplar pulp every few years).

/ Logging Winch #7  
You will have plenty of pulling power. I use an 8000# electric winch and easily pull 40+" diameter x 36' length pine trees with this set up. An upside down car hood works good for a skidder, or more often than not, I just use a shovel under the front end of the log and run back and forth to clear rock ledges. I regularly use two snatch blocks to get the correct angles, but have not yet had to double the gear ratio.

Vince

/ Logging Winch #8  
I have a T-Max 12500lbs. electric i use hard. 256:1 ratio on reciever set up. Wired front and rear of my diesel excursion 9500lbs, buried to the axles it pulls it out. I pull massive oaks for firewood and it doesn't flinch. Looked at hydraulic, but not as versatile. I bought it through Summit Racing winch and reciever mount $600.00, hard to beat. I went through 2 Mile Markers in 3 years. This is twice the equipment.

/ Logging Winch #9  
vrex said:
An upside down car hood works good for a skidder, or more often than not, I just use a shovel under the front end of the log and run back and forth to clear rock ledges. I regularly use two snatch blocks to get the correct angles, but have not yet had to double the gear ratio.
Vince

Interesting idea using a car hood. We just started carrying portable gas winches, the plastic cones for the front of the log, and the pulleys/releases that let you do multiple angles of pull in one pull. We have been so busy I have not had a chance to try them out myself yet. These are only 2500 lb winches and so far no one has said they have not had enough umph to pull out large logs. Some customers do use a pulley system to double the strength. So I have to believe you will have no problem with an 8000 lb winch.

Ken

/ Logging Winch #10  
wkpoor said:

As stated I do like mine but remember this that the ends of the MM 10,500 lb winch are alu but you can get that model with ductilable metal ends which is what I would recommend that you do. You have no idea what that winch will pull in the low speed.