torch regulators

/ torch regulators #1  

digger2

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota B26 TLB,former B7610 owner
Hey guys,
While we are on the subject of torches,i got a question.Right now
the torch outfit i have is gettin pretty old.I was thinkin about getting a new outfit.The outfit i have now has dual stage regulators on it.Thats all i've ever used,dual stage regulators.Never had a chance to use the single stage.
I know dual stage regs. are better as far as holding a constant flow,especially as your tanks get low,but is it really that noticable?
I mean,for somebody who only lights their torch once every three months to cut a chunk of 1/4' steel off,or burn a 50 year old rust encrusted bolt off,does it really make that much difference if its a dual stage or single.
I'm sure the dual stages are more $$$$$,(i havent priced yet)and i dont make a living using a torch.If i did i'd most likely have a top of the line model.
But i dont want to spend the $$$$ needlessly if its not going to make that much of a difference.Anybody know??
digger2

/ torch regulators #2  
digger2 said:
Hey guys,
While we are on the subject of torches,i got a question.Right now
the torch outfit i have is gettin pretty old.I was thinkin about getting a new outfit.The outfit i have now has dual stage regulators on it.Thats all i've ever used,dual stage regulators.Never had a chance to use the single stage.
I know dual stage regs. are better as far as holding a constant flow,especially as your tanks get low,but is it really that noticable?
I mean,for somebody who only lights their torch once every three months to cut a chunk of 1/4' steel off,or burn a 50 year old rust encrusted bolt off,does it really make that much difference if its a dual stage or single.
I'm sure the dual stages are more $$$$$,(i havent priced yet)and i dont make a living using a torch.If i did i'd most likely have a top of the line model.
But i dont want to spend the $$$$ needlessly if its not going to make that much of a difference.Anybody know??
digger2

Is it a brand name set? Why do you need to replace them? Maybe keep the regulators and get a new torch. Maybe they're worth getting serviced.

Monte

/ torch regulators #3  
You really didn't say if there was anything wrong except age...so I would either keep using them till something is wrong or have them rebuilt.

/ torch regulators
Basically,the reason i want to replace it is because its 25 yrs. old and
its a "Craftsman"......(need i say more?) Actually,everythings in pretty good
shape except for the cutting attachment.It never did work right.As soon as it gets hot,it starts to "pop" at regular intervals.The brazing/welding tips do the same thing,sometimes blowing itself out.Not good....can really screw up a otherwise nice cut job,it also is a waste of gas when you have to stop and relight.I've allready tried a new cutting tip,does'nt help at all.
I might just get a new "name brand" cutting attachment and handle,like
montejw suggested,since the rest of my stuff(regulators and lines),seems O.K. I can get a Harris brand set up for $179 complete w/torch handle,cutting attacment(1 tip incl.),welding/brazing attachment(1 tip incl.),
new lines,and single stage regs. Not a top of the line model of course,but
i'm sure its gotta beat the old "Craftsman". Three yr. warr. on the regs. and 1 yr. on the torch. I dont even know if i could get parts to repair my old one and for the trouble and time screwing around,is it really worth it?I dont think so.If it was a name brand,such as a Victor,Harris,or Smith,i'd definetly try
to fix it,but hey,its a "Craftsman",so why bother!!!
When i do figure out if i'll buy a complete new set up or just the new torch handle and cutting attachment,i think i'll take the old one,put it in the vise,
bend it in half w/a sledge hammer,then throw it straight in the garbage can
for all the trouble its caused me over the years.
That will make me feel MUCH better....LOL.......digger2

/ torch regulators #5  
digger2 said:
Basically,the reason i want to replace it is because its 25 yrs. old and
its a "Craftsman"......(need i say more?) Actually,everythings in pretty good
shape except for the cutting attachment.It never did work right.As soon as it gets hot,it starts to "pop" at regular intervals.The brazing/welding tips do the same thing,sometimes blowing itself out.Not good....can really screw up a otherwise nice cut job,it also is a waste of gas when you have to stop and relight.I've allready tried a new cutting tip,does'nt help at all.
I might just get a new "name brand" cutting attachment and handle,like
montejw suggested,since the rest of my stuff(regulators and lines),seems O.K. I can get a Harris brand set up for $179 complete w/torch handle,cutting attacment(1 tip incl.),welding/brazing attachment(1 tip incl.),
new lines,and single stage regs. Not a top of the line model of course,but
i'm sure its gotta beat the old "Craftsman". Three yr. warr. on the regs. and 1 yr. on the torch. I dont even know if i could get parts to repair my old one and for the trouble and time screwing around,is it really worth it?I dont think so.If it was a name brand,such as a Victor,Harris,or Smith,i'd definetly try
to fix it,but hey,its a "Craftsman",so why bother!!!
When i do figure out if i'll buy a complete new set up or just the new torch handle and cutting attachment,i think i'll take the old one,put it in the vise,
bend it in half w/a sledge hammer,then throw it straight in the garbage can
for all the trouble its caused me over the years.
That will make me feel MUCH better....LOL.......digger2

Remember, Sears didn't manufacture those regulators, they might still be good quality units.

"An old 2 stage regulator is better than any new single stage...." Not sure if it's true, but just thought I'd make it up.

Monte

/ torch regulators #6  
Hi Digger
I'll give you $25 for the 2 stage regulators and pay postage.

Charlie.

/ torch regulators
Hmmmmmmm,i'll have to wait and make up my mind as to what i'm gonna do.This may take awhile as
when it comes to parting with my $$$$,i'm tighter than a pair of fully tightened vise grips on a peice of cardboard!!!
digger2

/ torch regulators #9  
HomeBrew2 said:
I think that popping is back-flash, caused by a leak at the tip seat. I did a quick search and found Neet Seet - The Tool that restores VICTOR Tip Seats to like-New Condition which explaines it and they have a thingy to fix very abused seats.

Yep, it's a leak in the cutter itself. Could be easily fixed with new O-rings. As for it being a Craftsman,,, it is a good torch. Some of the bigger Sears stores have a repair shop that could fix it for you. Or take it completely apart and replace the O-rings yourself and it will work fine.

If you are not wanting to do that, I'll give you $50 and pay the postage for the whole setup... Just PM me if you are interested.

/ torch regulators #10  
SIR,
i have a o/a torch set i bought 60 years ago, and
it is still working fine. i have had the regulators rebuilt
twice.
if your set is working ok, why do you need a new set?
you can have the regulators rebuilt if necessary.
good luck with your projects.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.