Homemade landscape and trail rake

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake
Thanks for the feedback and ideas, I am considering all of them. Last night it was too hot to work outside so I got some more shop time and was able to get the tinebar completed. I milled a 1.5 inch hole for the swivel cylinder bushing to weld into, added a gusset or two, cut the "axle" and welded it in place. After doing some dog chores, I came back in and the aparts were cooled down so I actually assembled the tine bar onto the swingarm/main frame for the first time. This was a fun step, to see the swivel action, measure angles and clearances, compare the swing distances to the ball-end cylinder I had picked out, very cool! I did not have the camera handy, so no pics yet sorry. Want to get a few more details done and will post more pics soon. Almost down to starting hydraulic fittings and hose routing.

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake #22  
jimgerken,

That is one heck of a heavy duty rake you have there. I am excited in seeing your next set of photos. I am looking at building a rake and your design would work great. The hydraulics will be something I will need to learn more about.

Awesome Job!

One surprise: I attached the two cylinders and started visualizing and measuring the hyd fitting and hose routing, and I saw that the swivel cylinder fittings were orientated 90 degrees wrong, and their fittings were going to contact the frame when operated. So i cut the base ball joint fitting off the cylinder in the power hacksaw, and reattached it 90 degrees indexed using the TIG at full power and no filler rod, just fusing it back together. No room for filler there without causing the ball to seize. Looks mint though. I am not sure how I got along with no TIG for so long. hehehe
Also, I added a kickstand, SMV sign bracket, endstops for the two motions, completed the rear bearing packing and bolted retainer, and a couple hydraulic hose routing features. Ordered the remaining hydraulic fittings and hoses for delivery this week, bought primer and paint, and made a couple quick stands so the thing will stand on its own in the driveway, up off the ground, for cleaning and painting. Yet to add is just the weight brackets, in case it needs weight someday, and the hyd selector valve mounting plate, which may just bolt on. Should be able to do the remaining work tonight, and then she's paint ready. New pics in the morning.

pics:
#59 shows the "bearing retainer" based on suggestions from you guys. also shown here are top views of the cylindrical deals that serve as swivel-stroke stops and the left one is the cylinder mount. and there is a simple SMV sign mounting tab welded on there.
#60 shows a closeup of the open side of the cylinder mount. I wanted the pin to be in shear, not bending, and I was trying to keep the cylinder off the ground (away from the rocks trash and dirt) as far as possible, so it ended up here on top of the two structural elements. With this top cap added, the pin is better supported. I forgot to get a pic of the ball-end cylinder after I modified it. maybe tommorrow.
#62 is the kickstand
#63 shows a couple hydraulic hose routing/retaining conveniences I added. They are muffler clamps, threads cut off, welded in place. I can route the hoses thru or beside and ziptie on.
#64 shows one stop in operation.
#65 is taken from a short ladder that happened to be setting nearby, a top-down view trying to get it all in the view.

Later this week I will be painting and I will eventually post final pics with paint, cylinders, hydraulics, tines mounted, etc. And then a report on the function, and maybe a simple video posting showing the offset and swivel actions. Enjoy...

Attachments

• P1010059 (Medium).JPG
    P1010059 (Medium).JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,333
  • P1010060 (Medium).JPG
    P1010060 (Medium).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 1,573
  • P1010062 (Medium).JPG
    P1010062 (Medium).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,359
  • P1010063 (Medium).JPG
    P1010063 (Medium).JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,773
  • P1010064 (Medium).JPG
    P1010064 (Medium).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,858
  • P1010065 (Large).JPG
    P1010065 (Large).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,079
   / Homemade landscape and trail rake #25  
Looks very nice. Keep the pic's coming. It's killing me now knowing what a trail rake is for :) Hopefully one of the final pic's will show it "in use" :)

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake #26  
Nice work Jim. I'm eager to see it "in color". :D
Remember, we need some action shots as soon as the paint dries.

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake #27  
Action shots will be awesome. It will be something to see at work.

Nice Job.

I wished I had a rake this weekend to fix my back yard. I am off to the scrap yard tomorrow to see what I can find.

Update: Primed on Wed, painted flat white on Thursday, painted Safety Yellow on Friday and Sat. Spent Sat afternoon putting it together mechanically and hydraulically. Sunday morn took to woods, spent two hours working it. Did some trail raking, some heavy re-shaping in a few places, added two more water diversions in areas that needed them, even used the rake offset trunion cylinder hydraulics to slide the rear end of the tractor out of a precarious side-hill situation, etc. During this session, I found two hoses were too short and one started wearing thru, otherwise I was very pleased with the overall results. Offset is habit-forming!!! Got home, ate dinner, went back out to replace two hoses with foot-longer ones, did so, and then noticed I had twisted the tine-bar about 15 degrees , each side. No outragious work had been done, certainly less than it will eventually see, so I would call it "normal duty", so the fact that it twisted disapointed me a bit. The tine bar is 5/16" thick, 4x4 angle. My King Kutter was 1/4 " 4x4, so I thought this would be stronger than that one was. Two facts I am considering: I used the heavy duty tines from Agri-supply. These do some serious digging, but still do spring out if contacting a root or huge rock. But they probably put a lot more stress into the tinebar. And, there is a lot of "stuff" welded to the tinebar, so it got it pretty hot. I think it got soft from the heat of all the welding (my fault, I should have keept it cooler).

Anyway, the plan is to build a new tinebar of 3/16" wall 4x4 tube. This is, in some ways, easier than the original plan, and offers many times the torsional stiffness of the angle shape element. The only real challenge is deciding how to get access to the bolt heads. I don't want to bolt clear-thru, 'cause then they will not stay tight over time. So, one plan is to drill 1 inch holes on the top surface, coincident with the tine-mounting holes. Another idea is to hole saw larger holes (and fewer of them) that allow reaching four bolt heads at a time from the top or back surface. A third plan i am considering is to cut a 2 inch wide slot out of the top surface, leaving a 1 inch flange on each edge, use the slot for access, then after tine bolting, add back on a flat metal patch with clearance holes, matching tapped holes in the remaining flanges of the tube. There are variations of these plans too. I am open to suggestions too, as I think through my next step. I will try to get some materials by Friday.

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake #29  
Can you reinforce the back of the angle iron? instead of replacing it? Using the 3/16" 4x4...

/ Homemade landscape and trail rake #30  
jimgerken said:
The only real challenge is deciding how to get access to the bolt heads. I don't want to bolt clear-thru, 'cause then they will not stay tight over time. So, one plan is to drill 1 inch holes on the top surface, coincident with the tine-mounting holes.
.... There are variations of these plans too. I am open to suggestions too, as I think through my next step. I will try to get some materials by Friday.

You can also just weld the angle iron to a torsion resistant tube and save yourself a lot of bolting work.
I cant recommend welding a flat strip of metal to the tube, as you will likely not be able to keep it straight when welding it to the tube.

Please post some action shots !!!