Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
I am somewhat hesitant to post such a simple and common item as a dirt scoop when in this forum have been some really great machine work extravaganzas like a rotating back blade. However, I am happy with the result so thought that I would share it.

I need to move some sand around our church property which was left by the previous owner when he dug the septic tank, and is where I want to put a parking. I bought a month ago a Yanmar 1510D which has a tiller.

Since I cannot find implements or 3pt parts for cat 1 locally at all. I will have to make everything. At first I was not sure that I could make it work, but I am happy to report that it did work and well. I have a few bugs to work out yet, but I believe it is a success. (the bugs have to do with the sway links on the lift arms.) Now just paint is necessary. hmm? what color?

I examined all the pictures and examples that I could on the web and studied KK and Howse dirt scoops and tried to copy as best you can from a picture. The results may not be as faithful a copy as I would have done had I ever actually seen one or had the measurements for one.

I had to make everything for the 3 pt. Lift pins were made from bolts that I cut the heads off. lift arms are steel flat stock that I bent like the pictures in the parts manual on Hoye's site. The side links I made from pipe and flat stock. Well you get the idea.

The scoop is an attempt at copying the KK scoop. I do not have any dimensions so it had to be an eyeball guess. But I am happy to say it works.

Mike in Warsaw (Poland that is)

Attachments

• Photo_041907_005.jpg
    Photo_041907_005.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 7,277
  • Photo_041907_007.jpg
    Photo_041907_007.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,168
  • Photo_041907_004.jpg
    Photo_041907_004.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 4,678
   / Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #2  
Nice job!!! and make a good carry all also...thanks for sharing.

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #3  
Good job!! Green will look good on it:rolleyes:

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #4  
I purchased mine used, ($50) and used it to move a brick sign that my church wanted removed. I just backed the JD into it, knocking it over and then used the scoop to pick up the pieces. To get a full load, I would toss a few pieces on top by hand. One of the larger pieces caught something as I tossed it and misdirected it, catching my hand between the brick and upright on the scoop. Extremely painfull way to remove a fingernail. Just be careful!
You did a beautiful job on it, to say the least. Mine doesn't have the added bends of the top that yours does. Flat would have worked, but the added bends add a touch of class.
The next one I own will probably be built, on a larger scale since my tractor is so large it doesn't even notice it is back there when fully loaded.
David from jax

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #5  
sandman2234 said:
. I just backed the JD into it, knocking it over and then used the scoop to pick up the pieces.

Good thing you had the scoop to pick up the knocked over Deere pieces!!!
Another reason I'd never buy a JD....

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #6  
I guess you could also say that is why I am purchasing a new "to me" tractor, a blue one, rather than put all the pieces back together again...
Actually the JD2555 has been a great tractor, dispite the fact that green isn't some peoples favorite. I will have a chance to make my decision as to my favorite color soon, because I really don't need two tractors and the new one is four wheel drive, so unless it is just too big for my uses, I expect it to do everything the JD does, and more.
David from jax

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #7  
I actually only have problems with LAWN Deeres.Hated to see a name like Deere ruined with the LT series then the Sabres.If I had the money and need for a little tractor,I'd like a nice Kubota...not because they're orange either.The Allis was just screaming for the price I paid.

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #8  
Excellent job looks just like the kk. Will work great for you post some project pics of it being used Also some pictures of it being constructed if you have them. It might not be extravagant but just as important. paint it what ever color you like.
Put it on whatever tractor you like. The important thing about a tractor is that it is functional. Good luck.

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project #9  
MJPetersen said:
I had to make everything for the 3 pt. Lift pins were made from bolts that I cut the heads off. lift arms are steel flat stock that I bent like the pictures in the parts manual on Hoye's site. The side links I made from pipe and flat stock. Well you get the idea.

The scoop is an attempt at copying the KK scoop. I do not have any dimensions so it had to be an eyeball guess. But I am happy to say it works.

Mike in Warsaw (Poland that is)

Looking good, Mike!!

Prokop

/ Dirt Scoop and 3 pt as first project
Thanks all for the kind comments. I got to give it a go today and I am very happy. Well mostly anyway. my lift arms should have been 2 inches longer to keep the scoop out of the tires when going forward. I have orderd some real replacement ends so when they come and I weld them on I will lengthen the lift arms a bit.

I managed to cut through some tough roots and even hit a buried concrete ring that stopped everything in its tracks, but no damage and everything worked great. I took some pics, but am just too tired tonight to get to them. Tomorrow I will try to get them up. I made arrangements today to get it powder coated red!! Yanmar red! I also bought some special mix paint for the yanmar grey/green for the lift arms and side links.

Next week I will paint it.

Mike In Warsaw (Poland that is)