Bucket Forks Project

/ Bucket Forks Project
There is a piece of 1/2" plate between the two square tubes. I cut the plate so that it was 1/4" too narrow on both sides. I have laid in enough weld to be nearly flush with the tubing. The welds are approx. 1/4" thick and 2" long.:)

P.S. I did buff the rust off where the welds are.

/ Bucket Forks Project #12  
You be surprised how weak a weld can be when subjected to hydraulics.
Someday,I bet you set a load down with the bucket tilted down just a tad....
But what do I know?
Just a suggestion from a graduate of TSOHK.
(The School Of Hard Knocks..)

/ Bucket Forks Project #13  
Me and my dad "made" some bucket forks as well. Basically, we took an unused 3pt set of heavy duty hay forks and welded on tabs to the bucket's top reinforced edges and a tab on the buckets floor right at the back wall. You slide the hay forks into the bucket, line up the holes and slide the bolts in. The frame for the hay forks is square with the spears on the bottom corners. IN the bucket the bottom frame of the forks spreads the weight across the bucket. It's attachment points are sort of like an inverted 3pt. To on the top outside edges and one on the bottom.

It can lift a 1500lb bale just fine but I shy away from using it as such because the nature of the attachement points put the bale about 2ft further out and adds stress. Frankly I rather carry the bales in the back so I can see where I'm going. Where I use this is picking up brush piles and for that it is surprisingly good. The framework of the forks sticks above the top of the bucket and keeps things from rolling back and the bucket is 7ft wide, so it keeps the piles from wrapping around when pushed and getting into the wheels. Also, the way we arranged it, it still connects just fine to the 3pt.

Anyhow, cdhd2001, I am a big fan of over engineering, so every opportunity I get to beef something up, I do it. My dad is a "just get it done" kinda guy and so we clash creativily, we always argue as we work about the best way to do something. Amazingly it works for the best because we are critical of each other to the point one of us will usually catch a mistake before it is too late.

Your forks look good and as for some saying they might break, that can be a good thing. I mean, if you are going forward and one fork digs into the ground, I'd rather the fork break over than tweak the front loader or bend the bucket edge.

One last word...don't forget about them forks. With them on you are much longer and you will impale things if you are not careful. I put a 4 inch hole in the side of a boat.... Live and learn :)

/ Bucket Forks Project
JayDavis said:
Me and my dad "made" some bucket forks as well. Basically, we took an unused 3pt set of heavy duty hay forks and welded on tabs to the bucket's top reinforced edges and a tab on the buckets floor right at the back wall. You slide the hay forks into the bucket, line up the holes and slide the bolts in. The frame for the hay forks is square with the spears on the bottom corners. IN the bucket the bottom frame of the forks spreads the weight across the bucket. It's attachment points are sort of like an inverted 3pt. To on the top outside edges and one on the bottom.

It can lift a 1500lb bale just fine but I shy away from using it as such because the nature of the attachement points put the bale about 2ft further out and adds stress. Frankly I rather carry the bales in the back so I can see where I'm going. Where I use this is picking up brush piles and for that it is surprisingly good. The framework of the forks sticks above the top of the bucket and keeps things from rolling back and the bucket is 7ft wide, so it keeps the piles from wrapping around when pushed and getting into the wheels. Also, the way we arranged it, it still connects just fine to the 3pt.

Anyhow, cdhd2001, I am a big fan of over engineering, so every opportunity I get to beef something up, I do it. My dad is a "just get it done" kinda guy and so we clash creativily, we always argue as we work about the best way to do something. Amazingly it works for the best because we are critical of each other to the point one of us will usually catch a mistake before it is too late.

Your forks look good and as for some saying they might break, that can be a good thing. I mean, if you are going forward and one fork digs into the ground, I'd rather the fork break over than tweak the front loader or bend the bucket edge.

One last word...don't forget about them forks. With them on you are much longer and you will impale things if you are not careful. I put a 4 inch hole in the side of a boat.... Live and learn :)

Good advice (same for Bobodu also) !

My primary use will be "brush" forks.

/ Bucket Forks Project #15  
cdhd2001 said:
Here are some better pics of the forks welded areas. Getting dark when I took the photos and the flash blurred out some of the detail (again :rolleyes: )
Take a two-ply sheet of tissue paper, seperate the ply sheets, take one and place over the flash. it will diffuse (soften) the light yet allow enough for good illumination for exposure. ;)

(Also a good technique to prevent red-eye, although cameras now have the pre-lit setting to "reduce" red-eye. I'm an old fan of SLR film cameras... :)

/ Bucket Forks Project
Finished up my bucket forks today. Even got to use them! :D

249069555.jpg

249069566.jpg

249069563.jpg

249069560.jpg

249069558.jpg

/ Bucket Forks Project #17  
A job well done. Thank you for sharing.