Bucket Forks Project

/ Bucket Forks Project #1  

cdhd2001

Silver Member
I built a pair of bucket forks for the JD 2305 this weekend. They are in a rough finish state, I still need to grind, buff, and paint them this week. I built them out of materials I had laying around. The forks are 2"x2"x3/16" square tubing. The clamps are grade 5 bolts 3/4" diameter by 6" long. I also used some 3/4" rod, 3/16" and 5/16" plate.

The good and bad thing is that these things are heavy.

247756186.jpg

/ Bucket Forks Project
The bucket forks in the picture appear to be different lengths. I ran back to the shed and re-measured just to be sure I didn't screw up.:eek:

Must be a camera perspective thing.

They are both 48" end to end.;)

/ Bucket Forks Project #3  
Might I suggest that you add some gussets where the two pieces join? Sure would beef up the welded area.

/ Bucket Forks Project #4  
Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck.

/ Bucket Forks Project
bobodu said:
Might I suggest that you add some gussets where the two pieces join? Sure would beef up the welded area.

I built these similar to the Paynes forks. I have about 16 penetrating beads 2" long per side joining the two tubes with a 1/2" plate spacer between. All pieces tied together.

By gussets, are you thinking of plates welded to the sides tying both tubes together?

/ Bucket Forks Project
Here are pics of the Paynes forks I loosely modeled mine after.

levpadnew.jpg

barlocknew.jpg

/ Bucket Forks Project #7  
cdhd2001 said:
By gussets, are you thinking of plates welded to the sides tying both tubes together?
Exactly.Since the bolt would be trying to spread them apart and the weight of a load...it might be a good idea.Plus they're kinda fun to weld on.

/ Bucket Forks Project
bobodu said:
Exactly.Since the bolt would be trying to spread them apart and the weight of a load...it might be a good idea.Plus they're kinda fun to weld on.

I might still add the gussets. But, I still think I have more weld holding my forks together than the above pictures of a commercially made set of bucket forks.:)

I will take some better pics tonight after I do some grinding.

/ Bucket Forks Project #9  
I like the forks, but even with bigger commercial ones I have used, I hate the way that they won't stay "pointing forward" if you bump them sideways at all. I always thought that if I made some like this, I would weld some sort of bar between them (or maybe bolt them) so they would not rack.

/ Bucket Forks Project
Here are some better pics of the forks welded areas. Getting dark when I took the photos and the flash blurred out some of the detail (again :rolleyes: )

247970051.jpg

247970043.jpg