Old spreader use

/ Old spreader use #1  

John D

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5103
I was given this spreader and it was in bad shape. I took it apart and had to torch the gearbox off the funnel. got to thinking I realy dont need a spreader so I thinking useing the frame for a wht box. a 55 gal drum fits it OK but Im going to have to add some things to make it work. Im useing a JD I-match and it doesnt fit so Im thinking cut the tubeing on the top and adding in something to match the top hook on the I-match. Im open for any ideas. jb

Attachments

• 100_0046.jpg
    100_0046.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 665
   / Old spreader use
As it goes.

Attachments

• 100_0047.jpg
    100_0047.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 556
   / Old spreader use
As it goes 2

Attachments

• 100_0049.jpg
    100_0049.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 428
   / Old spreader use
And so on

Attachments

• 100_0138.jpg
    100_0138.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 356
   / Old spreader use
And on some more

Attachments

• 100_0136.jpg
    100_0136.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 365
   / Old spreader use
Last one

Attachments

• 100_0137.jpg
    100_0137.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 500
   / Old spreader use #7  
I have been trying to buy a spreader like that at farm auctions. They go for 3-4 hundred ( all beat up for a hundred less than new ). They sure bring a buck around here.

/ Old spreader use #8  
If you use a plastic drum you can fill it with water. Add a pump and it doubles as a sprayer. Clean up the base and add a platform to hold the drum(s) or take them off and use as a carry all.

Fertilizer really tears them up if it's not cleaned off and especially if some is left in it but it looks like it was salvageable. On the other hand, the "price" was right and if you have a better use for the components go for it.

/ Old spreader use #9  
I know, I know. Every time I'm desperately looking for a implement used and finely give up and go buy new someone always pops up with I just scrapped out one of those. If he did need a spreader though Agri-Supply advertises replacement poly funnels for those. The ad didn't say what the cost was though. I've pretty much resigned to new implements now cause the last used good deal I got cost me in dollars and time as much as going and buying new. Live and Learn I guess. bjr