Driveway Gate

/ Driveway Gate #1  

RichT

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B26
After getting some amazing estimates ($2500-$4500) for an arched, double driveway gate, decided to take it on myself. About $300 in materials later, some 14in cutsaw work, aided by a metal cutting blade, welding (Hobart HH187), and a couple Boxer silhouettes courtesy of my Thermal Dynamics Cut38 plasma rig. Now in rustoleum primer waiting for rustoleum satin black topcoat.

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Frame_Screen.jpg
    Frame_Screen.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Gates_primer.jpg
    Gates_primer.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,407
   / Driveway Gate #2  
Nice work Rich... What are you going to use for hinges?

/ Driveway Gate #3  
Nice work. Send us some more pics as you finish the project.
How did you bend the square tubing?

/ Driveway Gate #4  
Looks great. I really like the dogs, they add allot to it!!!!

Eddie

/ Driveway Gate #6  
Rich-

How wide is each gate? Is the frame box channel or angle iron? Did you bend the top pieces?

I am in the exact same boat but I was going to go even cheaper by using 1/2" thinwall conduit for the verticle pieces

Would you do it again?

Paul

/ Driveway Gate
ultra - I'm using 5" barrel hinges (pic below)

fun - the top (arch) piece is 1x2 tube. I had a local guy with a tractor mounted hydraulic roller roll a 20ft piece of the 1x2 in a semicircle. Then I cut 4 segments and welded them together to get the arch.

paul - each gate is 6ft wide. The frame is 2" 16gauge sq tube. The pickets are 5/8in sq tube. Absolutely I'd do it again. In fact I likely will for a couple other gates on the property.

Attachments

• Barrel Hinges.jpg
    Barrel Hinges.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,394
   / Driveway Gate #9  
RichT said:
ultra - I'm using 5" barrel hinges (pic below)

fun - the top (arch) piece is 1x2 tube. I had a local guy with a tractor mounted hydraulic roller roll a 20ft piece of the 1x2 in a semicircle. Then I cut 4 segments and welded them together to get the arch.

paul - each gate is 6ft wide. The frame is 2" 16gauge sq tube. The pickets are 5/8in sq tube. Absolutely I'd do it again. In fact I likely will for a couple other gates on the property.

Rich, any chance of a picture of that roller? I sure want one, but I think I will have to fabricate, as all the bought one's I find are well out of my price range. Nice way to do it out of segments like that.

Looks like your skills are great, but in the stuff I do, If you can make at least one side of the hinge be adjustable, and not fully welded, it can sure make installation easier, and later adjustments a lot more reasonable. Just a thought, but I would add on a bolt plate or something similar so I had some adjustment ability. With mine, it never fails when I go for solid welded, I end up with something drawing I don't expect when welding, and at the end of the 6 foot run, you will notice it.

/ Driveway Gate
AlanB said:
Rich, any chance of a picture of that roller? I sure want one, but I think I will have to fabricate, as all the bought one's I find are well out of my price range. Nice way to do it out of segments like that.

Looks like your skills are great, but in the stuff I do, If you can make at least one side of the hinge be adjustable, and not fully welded, it can sure make installation easier, and later adjustments a lot more reasonable. Just a thought, but I would add on a bolt plate or something similar so I had some adjustment ability. With mine, it never fails when I go for solid welded, I end up with something drawing I don't expect when welding, and at the end of the 6 foot run, you will notice it.

No pic of the roller, sorry. The orig plan wasn't to do segments, rather to do a couple bends on the 1x2. Well, the fellow I took it to, an obvious long time metal craftsman, said ... no way, the 1x2 will buckle. He recommended the semicircle bend and segments to fab the arch. With my dimensions, he figured out what radius was needed for the bend.

Thats a good idea on the adjustable hinge, but in my design I don't know how I would accommodate it. My plan is to line up the gate, line it up again, then CAREFULLY tack the hinges to the gate, repeat this process until the alignment is proper. Then fill in between tacks, also CAREFULLY.