cutting metal?

/ cutting metal? #1  

Desert Moose

Tractor
Kioti CK25HST
Hey guys.

I'll be doing quite a bit of metal fabrication soon. Mostly cold rolled steel tubing, maybe some aluminum. I have an Enco horizontal metal cutting band saw, but in the 10 years I've had it, I have never been able to get the thing to cut straight and square.

So, I'm thinking of another saw. I've heard of people using chop saws to cut metal. Either with an abrasive blade, or with a carbide?? blade.

What should I look for? Are chops saws made special for cutting metal, or do you just put a different blade on a regular saw? What's the advantage and disadvantage of abrasive blades versus the other (carbide?? fill me in here) type.

I won't need a huge capacity. mostly will be under 2" square, maybe once in a while I'll get up to 4". It would be nice to be able to miter, but I don't see a need for a compound miter.

Thanks, Sam

/ cutting metal? #2  
Dig out your enco manual and re-adjust your saw and you will be happy, I use a Dewalt abrasion chopsaw, the 5.3 HP version and it does great
this one here
:)

/ cutting metal? #3  
Milwaukee makes a 14" carbide tipped low RPM chop saw that works great for what you're talking about. Doesn't leave much of a burr and is easy to set for angle cuts. Will cut aluminum or steel w/o changing blades. Abrasive saws are nasty, noisy, and leave a big burr. They run about $400 bucks Pn#6190-20

/ cutting metal? #4  
I have the Milwaukee metal chop saw. The gearing is diferent in the metal chop saws compared to the wood ones.

Eddie

/ cutting metal? #5  
My present chop saw is an el cheapo from Harbor Freight that cost about $60 and has been faithful for the last year using abrasive blades.Yes,they are dirty and create lots of sparks,so ya wanna be careful.I'd like to try a metal blade when my supply of abrasives runs out.The chop saw comes in really handy when cutting 21 foot new stock because I can just set it on the floor or take it wherever I need it.

/ cutting metal? #6  
A metal chop saw is made for doing just that.

If you take an abrasive blade and put it in a regular saw... since a steady stream of sparks and hot metal is emitted... any plastic melts... and a build up of shavings and abrasive material gets into everything.. not necessarily good for bearings, etc. that are not intended for metal filings.

The Harbor Freight saw is the way to go ... cheapo... works for me... blades last an amazing amount of time, too.

/ cutting metal? #7  
I put a metal cutting wheel into my old faithful Craftsman table saw for cutting thru all thicknesses of steel, usually 1/2" or less, sometimes thicker. It can take some time but the cut line is perfect. I stock up on the cutting wheels from flea market vendors for about $1.00 a piece. I have a Milwaukee chop saw now, too, but the workhorse is my table saw.

/ cutting metal? #8  
I have the Milwaukee carbide tipped low rpm saw and I use it exclusively for aluminium. I works like a hot knife through butter. But I have only used it for aluminum. I also use the JET metal bandsaw. The plasma cutter works great for general cutting and cutting holes. I can't imagine not having any of these.

/ cutting metal? #9  
I use the Porter Cable version of the Milwaukee dry-cut saw. Just checked their website and they don't list it anymore, maybe they stopped making it. If you're looking for a quick cut that leaves a "ready to use" edge on whatever you're cutting, IMO a dry cut metal cutoff saw is the way to go. When I'm cutting square or round stock with my saw, the cut is so smooth I can literally see my reflection in the end of it when I'm done. No need to sand the edge or anything before use. You can still get it on Amazon.com for $439.

Amazon.com: Porter Cable 1410 15Amp 14" Metal Dry Cut Chop Saw NEW: Home Improvement

The bandsaw is another good option, but if you've already got one of those and aren't happy I'd go with the dry cut saw. Make sure to note that these are not the same as the abrasive chop saws - a chop saw runs at close to 4000RPM, a dry cut saw will run at about a third of that or so. You could still put an abrasive blade in a dry cut saw, though it would cut slower, but you wouldn't want to put a dry cut blade in an abrasive saw.

/ cutting metal? #10  
I think Porter Cabel was purchased by Black and Decker (along with Dewalt) and they are being asked (forced / reassigned) to make compressor only. They are now shutting down their pipeline of other stuff...