A rollover scraper with minimum

/ A rollover scraper with minimum #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
Now that I have the big mounds of dirt cleared away on our church property with the scoop that I made, I need to smooth everything out for the parking area and lawn. The box blade seems to be the tool of choice for such tasks and I drew up some plans for a simple box blade.

However, in reading through the many box blade posts here in TBN I read about the Gannon rollover. The idea and versatility of such a box blade intrigued me. But when I researched them I found that they are HUGE! (35 in x 44 in) All of the models have the same roll over elements only the length of the blade is changed and the number of scarifiers. Obviously not suitable for a YM 1510D.:rolleyes: (picture below)

From the specifications on the Woods web site I determined that the ratio between height and depth is about 80% so I drew up a plan for a rollover that is about 48 inches wide, 19 in high, and 24 inches deep. This is still probably a bit big for my tractor, but with the sand that we have here it might work.

I do not have any of the nicer tools that some of you have (I do not have a place for them if I had them and do not have the time for them if I had a place), so I thought that I would try to do this project to encourage others who like me have a minimum of tools. Welder <$100 buzz box, 4 in Dewalt angle grinder (cutting and shaping), and various other hand tools like drills and such.

So we will see how it goes.:) Any suggestions before it is too late?:D

In Warsaw,
Mike

Attachments

• woods_boxblade.jpg
    woods_boxblade.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7,874
   / A rollover scraper with minimum #2  
with todays steel prices, your unlikely to be able to build something as heavy duty as you could buy for 2/3 the price.

add to that your new "learning to weld" welds on a box blade :confused:

not the project i would cut my teeth on.

/ A rollover scraper with minimum #3  
schmism said:
with todays steel prices, your unlikely to be able to build something as heavy duty as you could buy for 2/3 the price.

add to that your new "learning to weld" welds on a box blade :confused:

not the project i would cut my teeth on.

also to ad to the new welds thing. If you dont have any experieance in building a implement like this you will do one of 2 things. Make it way to heavy drasticaly adding to the price or to lite and it will be destroyed the first few times you use it. Not trying to discourage you but i am speaking from expereince doing it both ways. I have made things way to heavy and i have had them come to peices due to inexperinece in such matters. I am just recently getting to the point where i understand were to fortify stuff to take the pressure. Keeps us informed on how it goes. Live by my moto. "Be like Christopher Columbus and take a chance":)

/ A rollover scraper with minimum #4  
Looks like some folks missed Mr. Peterson's first project, showing that he knows what he's doing and has no access to wholegoods locally.
Excellent dirt scoop project

/ A rollover scraper with minimum
Schmism,
I understand what you are saying about today's steel prices, but steel is not quite as expensive here as there I believe. There are very few tractors here in Poland that are under 20 hp and therefore, the implements that go with these tractors also are few. I think that there are plows, and mowers available, but not other ground engaging tools that are so common in the States.

As to my welding--who told you!!!:D Actually, I worked summers as a heavy equipment mechanic to put myself through college and grad school. So I have used the best of welders and the worst. I do not consider myself a welder, but I can weld--that is what the 4 inch grinder is for--to clean out the bird dodo so that I can weld it again!:eek:

Darkviper, Design is a hard thing that I have to continually remind myself that this implement does not have to withstand a D-8h just a 1510D yanmar--a bit of a difference.:rolleyes: But I copy well. If you look at the dirt scoop that I made--Homebrew mentioned it--you will see a remarkable resemblance to the KK scoop. That is not an accident.:rolleyes: I have studied the manual and pictures that I can find of the Gannon and think that I can scale it appropriately for my uses. I am not inventing I am imitating.

On that note--does anyone know how the scarifiers are retained on the Gannon? :confused: This is a puzzle for me. I have never seen one in real life, just pictures and that part seems not to have drawn the photographers attention.

Thanks,

Mike in Warsaw

/ A rollover scraper with minimum #6  
Talk to a dealer that handles Gannon. Through a local dealer, Gannon built me a custom, Cat0, rollover scraper for my JD332 Diesel. I used it to maintain a horse arena, then adapted it to my Kubota BX22 (cat1). Pretty pricey but a very handy implement to have.

Attachments

• Scraper.jpg
    Scraper.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4,030
  • atwork2.jpg
    atwork2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,276
RichT,

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the kind of thing I want. Thanks for posting that WOW--I will take all the pics, measurements, and specs that you have the patience and kindness to send to me. That is perfect.

It actually looks a bit small on the kubota.

How do they hold the scarifiers in?

Mike in Warsaw

/ A rollover scraper with minimum #8  
MJPetersen said:
Schmism,
I understand what you are saying about today's steel prices, but steel is not quite as expensive here as there I believe.

Mike in Warsaw

Mike, the steel prices dont vary more than 10% on a global basis, from Poland to the USA or China.
However they do differ more than 360% locally: when i buy at a farm equipment dealership close to my home, i once bought steel for 3.60
Though i could buy from the company i worked, for wholesale purchase price (plus 10% for use of the saw, and to cover the companies added cost for transport, stock and interest) which was near 1.00 at that time.

ooh great were the times i bought steel for 1 Dutch guilder per kilo... nowadays i buy it for nearly 1 Euro per kilo, which is 2.2 times as much....

Renze,

That is interesting. I do know that there is a difference locally.:eek: I did not ask one time at a local building supply when I bought a piece of angle iron. ouch!!

Sometime I am going to have to go visit your lovely country. I have seen pictures but they do not do it justice I am sure.

I collected some pieces and started on my project today. So we will see how it goes.

Mike in Warsaw

Ok guys,

I had the local metal yard cut the side plates for me and in a different yard I got the sheet (6 mm-- <1/4)that I will use for the blade. I will add to the blade a cutting edge, I have not decided yet whether that cutting edge will be welded on or bolted. I am leaning toward welding--It may not even be changed in my lifetime.:D I also picked up the main square profile that I will use for the draw beam (but they cut it 1200 mm when I asked for 1250 mm 2 inch difference).

Well I asked for 10mm (3/8) on the side plates and got 15mm (9/16) :eek: They would cut me new ones, but I decided that I would take the ones they cut for the price of the 10mm and just count it as extra weight--not sure it needs extra weight though!:rolleyes: Additionally, what I did not know until I got home was that both plates were not exactly the same size. I ended up cutting 3/8 in off one plate so that they were close to the same size. I spent some time grinding the plates to smooth them up.

I did cheat a bit and stopped at a shop on the way home which has this huge old brake and bent the 6 mm sheet in 2 places at about 20 deg for the blade.:p

I welded the sides to the blade and saw cut the pivot holes in the sides. So it is now taking shape.

Mike in Warsaw

Attachments

• side plate 15 mm.JPG
    side plate 15 mm.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,776
  • blade 6mm.JPG
    blade 6mm.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,356
  • attaching side.JPG
    attaching side.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,291
  • both sides.JPG