JD2320 vs. Massey 1528

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #1  

Iowa Boy

Tractor
John Deere LT180
I am early in my search yet, but if I had to buy today I would either buy a JD2320 or a Massey 1528. I know I am not exactly comparing apples to apples, but I think either would meet my needs.

In addition to these two, I looked at NH (higher cost) and Kubota (not enough room - I'm a big guy). I'd also like to look at Kioti and Mahindra, and will eventually, but the dealers for each are more than 2 hours away.

My budget is in the mid teens, and both JD and Massey have excellent dealers in my area. The Deere dealer is in my backyard, and the Massey dealer is about 40 miles away. The Massey dealer has offered to let me use a unit at my property for a weekend, and also offered to deliver the tractor, as well as pick up and deliver the tractor for no additional charge for maintenance and service.

Here is my comparison:
Both HST, although MF is 3 range & JD is 2 range (advantage MF)
HP - 23 for the JD vs 28 for the MF (advantage MF)
Comfort - I have driven both, and both feel good to me.
Pedals - I like 2 separate pedals vs. 1 rocker pedal (advantage JD)
Dealers - I am already a customer of the JD dealer, never bought from MF
Price w/HST & Loader - 14,015 for JD & 15,200 for MF (advantage JD)
Styling (subjective) - The JD looks more modern and better to me.

What am I missing? The Massey is more tractor, but it is also more money. Are the additional 5 hp and the other features on the Massey worth the additional $1200?

Like I said, I don't plan on buying right now, but if I did, which way should I go?

Joe

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #2  
Joe:

I would go with the MF1528 IMHO. If I remember correctly :confused: you intended to do some dirt and trail work on your property and a few of us recommended that you keep your rider and go with a somewhat larger CUT in earlier threads. I would look at tractor weight (especially if you lose some of your own ;)), ground clearance, and "footprint" for your intended projects. I wish my "Social Control Agent" AKA "She Who Must Be Obeyed" :eek: would "bribe" me into an attempt at weight loss :p. Jay

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #3  
You're not comparing equivilent tractors IMHO
23hp vs 28hp is a big difference
Go find the same size JD with about 28hp, then compare
and big Green will be more money than the Massey, then it will be completely obvious to buy the Massey.

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #4  
I know I sound like a broken record on the Massey board with this comment, but if you're looking at a Hydro 1528, take a look at the 1531. The price difference was minor for me and it gives you back the power you lose by going with the hydro.

I compared the JD with the MF before I purchased mine. I found a lot of things "nicer" on the JD. Like the joystick being mounted in the fender instead of on the loader pedestal. But the price was several thousand better on the MF, so I went with that and have been happy with it.

Mike

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #5  
mchasal said:
I found a lot of things "nicer" on the JD. Like the joystick being mounted in the fender instead of on the loader pedestal.

Mike

I have seen both a 1528 & 1531 at the dealer with a fender mounted joystick.

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #6  
I guess it really depends on what you will be doing with it. I get by just fine with my 2320, but if you need some extra capabilty then the 1528 will outclass the 2320.

I looked at a 1523 and liked the 2320 better as it just had quite a bit more features. This size machine was all I needed for my 6.6 acres so i just decided to get the model that I liked the best in it's class size. I think the Massey 1523 is built just as good and is as capable, but it lacked a few features hat I got with the Deere. The Massey would have cost abit less though. I really like the 1533, and may have bought it if I was getting a machine that size.

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #7  
CinderSchnauzer said:
If it has the joystick on the fender it was ordered loader ready from the factory.

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #8  
CinderSchnauzer said:

News to me. I have not seen one that way, but it could certainly be possible. Though the specs on the MF site seem to indicate otherwise. Regardless, that was just an example of why I thought the JD was a little nicer. It was a while ago, so I don't recall specifics, and it obviously wasn't enough to make me spend the extra green to go green (tee hee)

Mike

/ JD2320 vs. Massey 1528 #9  
Boy, in my neck of the woods the Massey (1523 I think) was more expensive than the JD.